+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod building.

Default Rod building.

Gentlemen et al;
    As I read profiles , I come across many that in the "intesests" line , among other things, mention rod building. Now I am curious that if you mention that, do you do it for yourself or for commercial/semi (?)purposes. I assume that if that is stated, it means that you make or have made/built more than 10 rods or more. I don't think it's the same when "fly tying" is mentioned because I understand THAT is an addiction which can cause one to tie millions of them without ever even thinking of selling them. They just continue to pile up "just in case".Rods on the other hand...........

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Actually Marco, there is a greater similarity than you think. I know I have more rods than I need but I still build. I also buy rods. Every once in a while I might sell a rod, but only to justify building or buying another.

They may not pile up in the same numbers as the flies I tie but, at least to me, it is a similar addiction.

------------------
    Joe

Marco,

I guess I have to respectfully disagree with you. Where does it say you have to actually build rods in order to be interested in building them? Also, I guess I am right around the cusp of your 10 rod parameter and I have not built any to sell. Of them all, one was built for my son and another for a friend.

Allan

Sorry, I could'nt begin to give you a number,I've not only built rods from new blanks...but I've restored more bamboo's than I've ever owned rods in my life...Have alot of friends in PA who, once this info gets around...suddenly have three or four rods that fall out of the wood work....weather they use them or not...I've restored Glass also..I Only own two factory rods that I use and NEVER...have done anything too....nore will I ...unless at some point I need to..for whatever reason..but they should be good for the life of the warrenties......

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 17 August 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Well Marco, I list both rod building and (laminated wood) net building on my profile. I have sold a couple of rods, but only to pay for the blanks to build the "next one". I have 3 rods that I use most of the time. But there are a couple more in the closet waiting for the time to either give or sell (for blanks). I've built a couple for my sons and I have built a couple for friends where they supplied all the materials and determined the specs.

As to the landing nets, I've never sold any of them. I build them for gifts to give to special friends. Again, how many nets does one need? I have one w/ a long handle for my pontoon boat, one with not so long a handle for my float tube and one "normal" size for wading.

Do I build rods and nets every day??? Nope. But I don't tie flys every day either. Both are still what I consider "hobbys".

So my friend, can I continue to list rod and net building on my profile or should I take it off and instead put in the profile that "I argue with Marco a lot".????

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

I have been accused of building more rods than flies!

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Like many others I build rods and tie flies. I also make nets and wading staffs and furl my own leaders. I find all these activities interesting and do them non-commercially only. I don't find any of them addictive, just enjoyable.

Al

Marco,

I believe that I fall into that catagory since I enjoy rod building almost as much as tying flies. I've built several for my own use as well as for friends at cost and a few for gifts. It can be adictive and as others have stated, you end up building more rods than you need and yet you keep on building. All that being said, I generally build most of my rods in the "off season" which really doesn't apply down hear in Georgia so perhaps I should call it the "slower fishing season" aka winter.

Jim Smith

Marco, you have made an excellent point, but let me tell you, rod building is addictive as well. and believe me, they do pile up after a while, unless of course one gives, sells, donates a few here and there. I still consider myself a hobbyists and like billnepp, I do more restorations than I do new builds, or used to anyway....maybe someday after I retire from the retailing world, I will do more than just a hobby...

Gentlemen e al;
    You are not to read any implications into my post. I am simply curious if there is any criteria that you use to state that your interest is rod building. This has nothing to do with what I think should be "a number" before you are " qualified" to state that fact. I'm normally contentious and taking on all comers. That is NOT the case THIS time.No words, including " addictive" were meant to be derogatory.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 17 August 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread