+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rotary Tying Tips ?

Default Rotary Tying Tips ?

I am searching the web for Rotary Tying tips. I am thinking about going from my HMH Spartan to a Renzeti Traveler. I thought there would be someone out there posting tips on a web page but I have not found it yet. I have found a few on www.globalflyfisher.com and a couple other places, but not a lot. I have found a few books/DVDs for sale . . . Anyone know of any sites that may be out there but don't show up in google very well?

-wayne

Normand Guest

heres a rotary tying site. requires subscription. mike holt also has a dvd for sale

http://www.rotaryflytying.com
    Last edited by Normand; 03-17-2008 at 08:33 PM.

There is rotaryflytying.com. They charge a fee to become a member. I have a friend who joined and says it well worth the cost. Al and Gretchen Beatty are coming out with a new rotary tying book. You can preorder it on Amazon.com. I preordered back in early January, but a recent notification said delivery is set for May.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Al and Gretchen also have a DVD on rotary tying. Definately a way to get the most from your vise. The price is $19.95 and can be found at this link. http://www.btsflyfishing.com/catalog/pag14-15.htm Al and Gretchen are sponsors here and great folks, period.

REE

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Al and Gretchen also have a DVD on rotary tying. Definately a way to get the most from your vise. The price is $19.95 and can be found at this link. http://www.btsflyfishing.com/catalog/pag14-15.htm Al and Gretchen are sponsors here and great folks, period.

REE

Great DVD! I highly recommend it.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

There is rotaryflytying.com. They charge a fee to become a member. I have a friend who joined and says it well worth the cost.
    Great site. Well worth the cost.

This question puzzles me. I have tied for a number of years and hang with a number of good tiers who also use rotary vises. IMO there are only five steps to consider.
    1) Ensure the shank of the hook is on the rotating axis by adjusting the jaws in the jaw bracket and appropriate placement of the hook in the jaws.
    2) Ensure the bobbin holder is at the same level as the hook shank and about 1/2-inch in front of the hook eye.
    3) Tie in the material; wrap the thread toward the eye and FORM a half hitch to ensure the thread doesn't come unraveled when rotating the vise ? put the thread over the bobbin/thread holder and let it hang.
    4) Hold the material in the right hand (I presume) and rotate the vise 'counter clockwise' enough times to apply the wraps of material needed.
    5) Proceed to tie off the material 'as usual'.
    Refinements will occur with practice, like turning the hook 90 degrees (shank near you) which for me makes it easier to wrap the thread base - but each to his own. You can also position the hook likewise for wrapping parachute hackle with the post facing you.
    You can also make a little 'table' and use the rotary vise to assist in making dubbing brushes, but this plan is rather exotic.
    I guess I look at it as play and once the five steps I have mentioned become second nature (in about 2 hours) the rest is just experimentation and play with the concept that the hook shank/top can easily be positioned. Am I missing something here which is extraordinary about using a rotary vise?

Hello,
    Useful tips for rotary vise tying can be seen on the videos for the Nor-vise: see http://www.nor-vise.com/ and click on the videos link.

GregH...what you say is basic but if you watch all the video stuff mentioned above you'll see a lot of sophisticated techniques used by the masters....wish I could remember them all let alone master them

+ Reply to Thread