+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you guys tell me about the TRUCKEE?

Default Can you guys tell me about the TRUCKEE?

I'll be there at the end of May and am really looking forward to stealing a day on the river. I realize it may still be flowin' high, but I'd love some suggestions for fly selection, nice spots, etc. I'd really love to get away from the crowd (if at all possible, I realize there's a San Fran Fly Fishers group with a big stretch there as well.)

Anyway..if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by cpholley View Post
    ...if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
    cpholley -

Head west.

John
    The fish are always right.

Sorry, cpholley -

I just couldn't resist.

Wish I could help you with fishing the Truckee, but I really can't. I do have the impression that there is also some mighty fine fishing on the Little Truckee, which comes in from north, and may have better access since I think a lot of it is on Forest Service land.

The Truckee could be a big brawling river come May, and the Little Truckee might offer a more sedate alternative.

Either way, best of luck.

John

P. S. Is a welcome in order ?? Noted this is your second post - so in case you haven't officially been welcomed before now, let me be the first, from Idaho, of all places.
    The fish are always right.

I have only fished the Truckee a few times. If the main Truckee is high you may be able to fish the Little Truckee since the flows are more regulated. There are some big fish in the Little Truckee but they are not easy to catch. Your best bet for up to date infomation is the Reno Fly Shop. They also have a seasonal fly shop in Truckee during the regular fishing season. Andy Burk at the Reno fly shop can give you up to date infomation prior to your trip.

http://www.renoflyshop.com/

Good Luck,

Jet

The guys with the best info will be the Reno Fly Shop and Truckee River Outfitters (both shops operated by Reno Fly Shop). Their web address is http://www.renoflyshop.com/index.html. Drop them a line and you will get an answer back from Rob or Andy.

With the snowpack we have this year, the Little Truckee might be a better bet below the dam.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Here is one article on the Truckee

www.flyline.com/places/truckee/

I fished the Truckee River a couple of times, north of Truckee and upstream from Lake Tahoe. I got a lot of good information on flies and spots from the Tahoe Fly Shop.

http://www.tahoeflyfishing.com/

The best thing I got was a fishing guide to the Truckee River that gave all the spots, how to access them and the best techinques for fishing them. It was like a big map. When I get home, I'll try to find it.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies... been a while since I checked in. Thanks for the Welcome too!

Dunfly - I would LOVE to see that map...let me know the name of it and I'll try to buy one online. Sounds very helpful.

JohnScott - thanks for the good-natured ribbing... west would be a great start. I'll check the little truckee... hadn't thought of that.

I'm really looking forward to trying to fish it...i know there's some decent fishing if we can get away from the crowd a bit, but I know too little about the fishery. Keep any suggestions coming, they are GREATLY appreciated!

There are some other good streams coming off the East side of the Sierra that you might want to check into, if the others are blown out. A good fly shop should be able to steer you in the right direction.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I just moved north to NV and have fished the Truckee twice but just don't know enough to give you assistance. Here are a couple links/boards which you may want to ask assistance from. Don't forget you also have the American River (chance for 1/2#er steelheads) flowing west thru Sacramento and the Carson River (I like East Fork) just south east.
    http://www.ncffb.org/joomla_1.0.12/i...OARD/Campfire/
    http://www.kiene.com/messageboard/vi...5dcc2446eadb1b
    http://www.flyline.com/places/
    Last edited by Wednesday Caster; 04-09-2008 at 05:03 AM.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread