+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi Newb Intro

Default Semi Newb Intro

Greetings everyone I've been lurking around this site for almost two years now and have gained a great deal of information from it, and for that I thank you all. I titled this 'Semi Newb' since I did make several post last year, but without a formal introduction. With major time constraints from work and the motherboard on my computer frying around April last year I haven't been able to come on line.

Well here's a little info about me; I'm 30, live in RI, and I'm a tech at a Chrysler dealer. When I was a kid my grandfather got me into fly fishing but after he died when I was 13 I had very few opportunities to go fishing in general. A little over three years ago a buddy of mine invited me to go fishing and with one cast the memories of what I enjoyed so much as kid came flooding back. Later that year I pulled out my grandfather's old fiberglass rod, went to a small pond and started fishing for whatever I could catch. Since then I have pretty much stuck with fly fishing.

Opening day in RI is the second Saturday in April and I'm going nuts waiting, because of workload last year I haven't been to the water since last May. Also I wanted to get a 3wt this year to go with my 6wt but the money I was planning on using for it went to rebuilding my computer Well hopefully by May I can swing the money for the new rod. Anyways to this community I say thanks again for what I have learned here and what I will learn here; hopefully I can return the favor in time

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Well here's a great big semi welcome to you from the left coast, Ironhead.

Hope you get that new rod by May.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Ironhead -

Welcome and greetings from SE Idaho.

No doubt its in your blood.

Enjoy.

John
    The fish are always right.

Welcome Aboard ironhead!

Thumbs up Fiber glass rod....

Welcome Ironhead,

I'd tell you this is a nice place to hang your hat, but you already know that.
    You have a real prize in your grandfather?s fiber glass rod. I hope you still have it when you?re all done fishing and can pass it on to another.
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

WELCOME, Ironhead! (or, "welcome in from the dark, if you've been lurking for two years!?!).
    Regardless, I hope you can swing the 3wt. That's VERY, VERY, important because once you get THAT rod, you can begin saving for the 5wt. you so desperately need and then pick up the 4wt. you can't do without, possibly followed by a nice, 7wt., that's not all that necessary of course, by why NOT own one too?
    A couple of 3-4-5 and 6wts. should follow, all in 4-piece breakdown, so you're not caught without "travel rods".
    The reels, you can fill in with, in between buying rods. Cut down to one meal a day and walk everywhere in order to afford the lines you're also going to need.
    Fly Fishing's GREAT, ain't it?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ironhead,
    Welcome to the BB!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Smile

Hi Ironhead!
    nam

Hello Mr Ironhead
    I live 3 miles over the state line into Connecticut, but I'm in the "biggest little" nearly every day.
    I hope you plan to fly fish the salt as well as for trout.
    Rhode Island has some of the best salty fishing anywhere
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Welcome Ironhead!
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread