+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Near Sedona, AZ

Question Fishing Near Sedona, AZ

Hello All,

I will be vacationing in Sedona, AZ the second week of April and I would like to take my 14 year old son fishing. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, does anyone know of a local fly shop in the area?

Thanks!
    FT

azflyandtie.com has alot of information on fishing around Sedona. There is Oak Creek, but it has been very brown and high flows. There is Dead horse recreational area. It has ponds and stocked trout.

On the Creek Sedona Outfitters
    274 Apple Ave., Suite C
    (92203-9973; Bill Schultz (owner)

I was in Sedona a couple months ago and I noticed that On The Creek Outfitters were no longer in business, or at least they moved out of their building and were no longer taking calls. Hope I am wrong about that. I have fished down there and I don't know what to tell you, haven't uncovered any gems in the Sedona area, it's just not that great for fishing. There is a hatchery that you can take a self guided tour of and throw pellets to the fish in the outdoor pond. That's the best place I can think of to encounter a trout in the area. I've spent a lot of time there and if you need some advice on where to go and what to do send me PM.

Oak creek. Call O' The Canyon day use area. There you will find the main stream and the west fork. Lucky489 would know better than I if it will be fishable then, but it fished last December.

Last edited by gutbomb; 03-17-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Oak Creek is a pretty challenging stream unless you are there the day after the FnG stocks

If it's still muddy it won't really be any fun. Dead Horse rec area is much more fun for a family thing. More "fun" and less "trying to find the fun".

Also be aware of whatever forest passes you need to purchase in advance. AZ game and fish website has that info.

Successful fly patterns include small white mayfly spiners, BWO variations, PT nymphs, and black stonefly patterns in the range of an inch or less.
    If you go to other spots in that area the ole' standby black wooly buggers work good too.
    Last edited by Daniel J; 03-17-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Smile Dead Horse Ranch Near Sedona

Welcome to AZ.. Dead Horse Ranch is in Cottonwood, near Sedona. Right now the Verde river is running high and muddy..but who know what it will be when you get here. About 5 minutes from there is the Lagoon area..It has 2 lagoons. The lower one allows float tubes and has been the most fished. You can check the stocking schedules at http://www.gf.state.az.us/. Great place to picnic with kids and camp if you want to

Enjoy your time here!
    The Best time to fishing is when it's raining and when it's not

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks to all for the info!

+ Reply to Thread