+ Reply to Thread

Thread: shoulder exercises

1. Default shoulder exercises

following up on the great discussion on rotator cuff repair last week. I would like to ask members to list exercises that might
    strengthen and prolong our middle aged shoulders. Or please list web sites that
    might give this advice.

post-operative or preventative?

preventative excercises, i would recommend basic stretching and strengthening excercises. shoulder rolls and side/bend stretches keep the joints relatively free-moving while pushups, pull-ups, and "dips" will strengthen the muscle groups to help prevent injuries.

also, [url=http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/shoulder-excercises.html:e451e]THIS PLACE[/url:e451e] has some excercises, stretches and pain remedies you may want to check out.

also, a google search for "shoulder stretches and strengthening excercises" will yield about 20 pages of results.
    ------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

[This message has been edited by tyflier (edited 16 August 2005).]

i personally rely on doing sets of 12oz curls. especially in the evening when i come home from work. if i want to really feel the burn, then i'll do 16 oz. *G*
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I did not know that your beer mug weighed that much.

Rick

The website that TYFLIER mentioned in his post was about the best I saw when I checked online sources a while ago. However, I would mention that if I weren't a physical therapist already familiar with those exercises, I would probably have difficulty following the directions given. Most of the exercise programs I found in my online search were very vague, poorly described, or even inappropriate for the conditions treated. I wrote this week's book review on Fit to Fish: How to Tackle Angling Injuries. For $19.95, this book can be purchased from Frank Amato Publications, which is one of FAOL's sponsors. The book provides very clear, illustrated instructions for rotator cuff exercises, as well as exercises for elbow, wrist, knee, ankle, and spine problems. This is probably the best book of this type I have seen in over 30 years of practicing physical therapy. I would recommend it highly.
    Larry Compton

In addition to other specific suggestions please consider the Mayo Clinic website "Fitness & Sports Medicine Center". There are are many categories including "Sports Injuries: A to Z" and much general advice. This is a great resource for everyone and can help you avoid doing the wrong thing.
    [url=http://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformation/conditioncenters/centers.cfm?objectid=000BDE1A-6219-1B37-8D7E80C8D77A0000:ada96]http://www.mayoclinic.com/findinformation/conditioncenters/centers.cfm?objectid=000BDE1A-6219-1B37-8D7E80C8D77A0000[/url:ada96]

[This message has been edited by bluehackle (edited 16 August 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread