+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2wt rod....

Blog Entries

Default 2wt rod....

Can a 3-4wt reel work with a 2wt rod fine? I'm just having a hard time finding a 2wt reel in my price range. But a few 3-4wts. I'm curious if anyone has done it and how it works out. Is it too much extra weight?

Thanks a bunch,
    Shane

Smile 2wt reel

Go to a store that will let you put the reel on the rod to see how it feels to you. Any good tackle store should let you do this. I would also think a Cabelas would also. A stock answer would be if the reel is small enough it should be fine.

shane, have you looked at the orvis bbs II? i am sure it would work fine on a two wt. rod and the price is right too.

Try Bass Pro - Whitewater I believe -. I have a 3 wt ultralite - cute little thing. Nice and light. Do not put any 5 or 6 wt. reel on a 2 wt rod. You are defeating the purpose of the system. Don't worry about balance - go for as light as possible. Really, really, light.

Bob Bolton

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    Try Bass Pro.
    What he said! I saw the White River Classic when I was in their fly shop. It is small & sweet for $99.

I use a Okuma Sierra 3/4 on my 2 wt. At $39.95 it even has a nice little drag system on it, and makes for the perfect starter/low budget reel.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

I was thinking of going with the Cabela's Prestige Plus 3/4 to get me through this season. Thanks a lot everyone for the suggestions, I do like the looks of the suggested reels. Just still too much out of my price range right now. My list for Cabela's grew too large hahaha. But, only with items I need, of course

Thanks again, just wanted to mainly make sure a 3/4 was ok on a 2wt. So I'm happy once again

Shane

I use a J. Austin Forbes reel on my 2 wt and love it. While it is a different model reel, there is a J. Austin Forbes reel listed on the For Sale board that would work perfectly for your 2 wt. Just one possibility.

Jim Smith

Blog Entries

If you want lightweight, try the Crystal River Cahill CR-0001. All graphite, disc drag, under $20, and it weighs only 2.7 oz. Not a bad little reel. I picked up one to get me by for my 2 weight, and I've never had a reason to replace it, even after hooking into a 5 lb. carp.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Otto,

Some good answers here. From my experience with 1 and 2wts, I've used a light reel too and have appreciated not getting the really small dia. reels that have you reeling for a week each time you retrieve line.

For that reason I've sold some of the very small sizes (Ross San Miguel #1 and Ross Colorado "0") in favor of the next size up.

Just an FYI.

Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread