+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Properties of a good rod

Default Properties of a good rod

This past winter,I recommended to a member here that they not purchase a popular/inexpensive rod. I was politely told by a number of other members that I didn't know what I was talking about. I vowed to give this rod an other chance. I even bought a new(used) line for it thinking that a DT might work better than a WF.
    I have fly fished for a long time but I don't consider my self an expert on fly fishing, fly casting, fly rods, or anything else(except maybe cheap beer).But I'm pretty sure this rod is a P.O.S.
    As I was sitting in my canoe yesterday trying to make this rod fuction I thought about what I like about my rods that I consider good.
    For me it all boils down to false casting.
    With my favorate trout rod I can pick up the line, make a single haul on the back cast, and shoot the cast where I want it to go.
    With other rods that I enjoy fishing, if I make more than 2 or 3 false casts, I've done some thing wrong. This goes for cane,glass, and plastic. Slow, medium, and fast. 4 to 10 weight.
    On my inferior rods(like the one in question) there is a lot of false casting just to get line taper out and then it still may collapse as if there was too much slack.

Just my layman's opinion

------------------
    "Nick's heart tightened as the trout moved. He felt all the old feeling" ...Ernest Hemingway

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 12 August 2005).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Every rod that I have kept (as opposed to bought) has had that "feel" that you describe. From the first cast, they were just right. I would be hard-pressed to describe that "feel" objectively, except to say that an certain effortless level of accuracy is a factor. Oddly enough, they're all from different mfr's, and some are high-modulus graphite, some are low-modulus, some are bamboo and one is fiberglass.

While a great caster can make a broomstick work, the rest of us just hope to find rods that suit our idiosyncrasies.

I'm certainly not an expert caster. But excepting one older and really long, overly heavy fiberglass, I've never met a rod I actually disliked. I've found that by tuning myself into the rod's capabilities and what it wants to do, I can extract enjoyment and success from just about any fly rod. Even the lowly POS's. Just my $0.02

Jim

Just out of curiosity, did you stick to the recommended line wt? Maybe try a different weight?

I seem to recall reading here where someone tried that with a rod they bought or built and it helped a lot.

Then again, just might not be the rod for you.

Paul

What nowindknots said!

Mark
    PS: Very telling post below regardin suiting your needs. I assure you, if situation is as nowindknots states, they then meet ALL my needs.
    ------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 12 August 2005).]

I know what you mean, dudley!
    I've cast rods that I couldn't wait to give back to the owner or shop keeper or couldn't wait to sell.
    Sure you can make a dead twig cast a line but, c'mon, how much 'joy' is that? There is a lot to be said for action, weight and even cosmetics.
    I have gotten some true dawgs of rods to work better by fiddling around with different line types but sometimes a dawg is just a dawg and no amount of kicking it will change that!
    There is no shame in finding out a rod does not fit your needs or expectations exactly and absolutely no reason to live with it. Between ebay and sites like this that rod will likely easily find a new home and you can go out and get a rod that better suits your needs.

I can make shoes that don't fit work too, I'm just glad I don't HAVE to!

[This message has been edited by Jackster (edited 12 August 2005).]

Gandalf,
    Yes I have tried other line weights on this rod as I have on most of my other rods.

I have 25-30 fly rods. Most of which are old, beat-up or cheap. Tomato stake stuff. I try to fish them all at least once a year(or else why keep them). Out of the bunch it's only two or three that I feel are realy poor casting tools.
    This is one.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I'm with nowindknots & Marco.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

imho, ... the properties of a good rod is the sum of it's charateristics that come together so, ... as mentionned ... it'll do what I want effortlessly.

That is to say, ... the fly goes where I want/need it to, and I don't have to "think" about casting ... the line/leader/fly just do it!

I've cast many rods that didn't "appeal" to me. In hindsight, ... 90% of these rods were very stiff (or underlined, by accident).

The most "unpleasant" casting (again, imho) happens when I ask as rod to do something it wasn't suited for.

On a typical day on the river, the three of us will usually have 5-7 rods strung up for small dries, big dries, wets and streamers.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:e7f95]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:e7f95]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 13 August 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

I like a rod that's well balanced and feels light in the hand. I like to feel the line in the air, and be able to haul even with a little line out. I don't like to feel the rod flex in the grip, I also prefer a smooth transition of power. I hate a "Hingy" rod that the action is not true.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread