This past winter,I recommended to a member here that they not purchase a popular/inexpensive rod. I was politely told by a number of other members that I didn't know what I was talking about. I vowed to give this rod an other chance. I even bought a new(used) line for it thinking that a DT might work better than a WF.
I have fly fished for a long time but I don't consider my self an expert on fly fishing, fly casting, fly rods, or anything else(except maybe cheap beer).But I'm pretty sure this rod is a P.O.S.
As I was sitting in my canoe yesterday trying to make this rod fuction I thought about what I like about my rods that I consider good.
For me it all boils down to false casting.
With my favorate trout rod I can pick up the line, make a single haul on the back cast, and shoot the cast where I want it to go.
With other rods that I enjoy fishing, if I make more than 2 or 3 false casts, I've done some thing wrong. This goes for cane,glass, and plastic. Slow, medium, and fast. 4 to 10 weight.
On my inferior rods(like the one in question) there is a lot of false casting just to get line taper out and then it still may collapse as if there was too much slack.

Just my layman's opinion

------------------
"Nick's heart tightened as the trout moved. He felt all the old feeling" ...Ernest Hemingway

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 12 August 2005).]