+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most Technical Trout Stream?

For outright "Highest level of Difficulty" Any and every time I fish it.

I'd have to say The PennsCreek, anywhere above the town of that name...The lower end is pretty much strictly warm water fishing.....had planned on being on the lower section this coming weekend,But plans changed and the induction of my ladies labor is what's now planned for this coming weekend....Just hopeing all goes smoothly and that her and the wee one will both be allowed home quickly...But we shall see....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

RW again,

I'll stick to my post. How can anyone say theirs is the most difficult when they haven't fished all the thousands of streams in the country to compare it too. The question is ludicrous and so are the answers.
    Allan probably came closest to the truth.

Now if anyone said, "of all the streams I've fished, and named them, and then picked one, the question and the answers would make a world of difference and a lot more sense.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 11 August 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

JC,
    I know you've fished Rocky Ford in Central Washington before. But have you tried it on January 1, in a blizzard, with a 30-40 mph crosswind? Seems like every time I've tried it, we wind up with too many folks in Z's camper, steaming up the windows, eatin' sausage, and drinking coffee. Come to think of it, I don't think we go there for the fishing.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    -----------------
    Lotech Joe

4. Default

Allan...the klink never fails ...glad it fooled one for ya. RW...I'm not surprised you feel that way about my thread...

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Mike,

Today the Klink did just about what all the others did. It attracted the trout, like the others, and one juvenile idiot took it. I'd hardly call that an endorsement or one to smerk about.

Allan

The question should have been " What are some of the technical or harder streams in this country that you have fished" That should havve done it. It amazes me how people can run off with a topic when a guy is just asking a simple question. What strem do you think is a hard stream to catch fish on. Easy as that.
    LIke people have said there are lots of them around this country and what is hard for one person may be easy for another person. Lots to the question if you want to take it that far.
    I would think just giving a stream that you fish and believe is hard for you should be a good answer.

RW- Anytime you need a stream that will make you wonder why you took up fly fishing let me know I have a few you can try. On two of them I have yet to see an easy day and a good day may be one or two fish all day long. And believe me there are a lot of fish in them. They are just hard technical spooky fish.
    Tough fishing but I like it. Makes me feel like I did something right to catch those fish. Not like a stream that you can throw just about any fly and catch a fish. I like to have to think about how I am going to get a fish to take a fly and what fly he or she might take.
    You can go up in the mountains here and catch fish after fish on the small streams. Not my game. While it is fun now and then there is no challange to it at all. Nope I like to play the "Game of Nod's" Like the old pro's use to call it. To me that is what FLy Fishing is all about. Ron

Of anything I have fished the Letort is definitely the hardest, followed by Penns Creek and the Upper Allegheny. Western Rivers are nothing compared to Eastern rivers for toughness, and yes I've been to the Henry's Fork.

Bowhunter1st- I would suggest you fish a lot more of the westrn streams before you make a statement like the one you made. I have fished many of the streams that you are fishing and I have guided many of the western rivers that we have talked of here. There are many streams here in the west that I could take you to that do not get much fishing pressure but are as hard as they come. I guided the Henry's Fork back in 69 -71 and I can tell you at times it can be real tough as most any stream across this country can be.

I suggest you fish a lot more of the western streams before making a flat statement like that one.I have guided some of the best fly fishermen in the country at one time or another and have seen them get beat pretty bad a time or two.

Like I have said it just depends on the day, time of year or even the weather. Lots of things can make it tough.

I won't say that the Letort and a few others in PA can't be tough because they can. I have fished them back a few years ago and though tough I found them no tougher than others I have fished in the west.

But it is good to be proud of your streams and your fishing area we all are. Ron

Blog Entries

GrsdLnr, curious about your inclusion of the lower Dolores in this list. I've never felt it was all that tough, although admittedly it is not a high-numbers kind of place any more. Maybe I just need to fish it other than in the winter. You local?
    [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/Dennis212/Dolores_11202004_B1_lc.jpg:49f14]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/Dennis212/Dolores_11202004_B1_lc.jpg[/url:49f14]

DG -

I fished the Dolores just below McPhee a couple of times several years ago during low flows and sparse hatches, thus my personal definition of "technical". I still caught fish, and some very decent ones. Beautiful area.

And no, I'm from upstate NY.

+ Reply to Thread