+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howdy

Default Howdy

Hey everyone. Just joined the forum a few days ago and thought I would introduce myself. I'm Joe and I have been getting back into fly fishing for the past several years. I live in Middle Tennessee and typically fish in the smaller streams and creeks here. I've been fly-fishing with a 4 wt. St.Croix rod and a Pflueger automatic reel and decided to go the conventional route this year with the typical reel and learn a little more about fly fishing, which is why I'm here. If anyone has a good suggestion for a good reel that won't cost much (I'm a broke college student) that would be great.

joerogrz,
    You will be getting an answer to your question, soon!
    Welcome to the BB!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

broke college student? sounds pretty familiar to me as well as getting back into fly fishing this year. Enjoy the season.

WELCOME, Joe, to FAOL!
    I, truly hope, that you enjoy yourself here. There's a ton of not only great information, but an equal amount of fine fly fishermen giving their own, ideas and opinions,on about anything you can think to ask about!
    Just like your question "An idea, on an inexpensive fly reel"............ I'm VERY surprised, that you don't already have a few hundred "ideas and opinions already listed here!?!! (MAYBE, every one's asleep?!).
    Anyhow, I'm sure you'll get many answers to your question, soon enough.
    I could, suggest a few reels, for you to consider but first might ask, "What is YOUR personal average of "inexpensive", dollar and cents wise?
    If it's "college student poverty level", like it was for ME, when I was in college, then I'd suggest looking at the Pflueger line of conventional style reels, or, the Okuma line of reels, perhaps. And, there's sure nothing wrong with the good old "Medalist" model of Pflueger reels either!
    Obviously, fishing a 4wt. on small streams, you're not going to be needing a "Tarpon quality drag" on a reel!?!
    Whatever may be suggested, just keep in mind that "every thing is a personal OPINION",from each person chosen by either experience, and/or, personal likes and dislikes and nothing more than that.
    Anyway, again, WELCOME!!
    Last edited by flybinder; 03-13-2008 at 07:36 AM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome Joe...

Tons of great information here....all you've ever wanted to know. Enjoy FAOL....now for the second opinion on reels ...Orvis Clearwater II ....$39.00....the II should suffice since it's only being used for storage. Check the Orvis site. Enjoy.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Default reels

I have all kinds of reels for you to choose from. Give me an email and I will let you know what I have and what price.

Howdy yourself neighbor, well all most. Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll find what you want here.

Welcome.

Cabelas Prestige reels. Low cost, great function.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Joe -

Welcome and greetings from Idaho.

Looks like you are getting some good answers so I don't have much to say in regard to your original question.

Hope you get some enjoyable time on the water when you get set up with your new rig. Keep in mind that we all enjoy photos of others' fishing spots and catches - if you have an appropriate camera and are set up to post photos on the BB.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default Welcome

Hey Joe - what waters do you fish? Are you close to the Smoky Mtn. Nat'l. Park? Take a look at Orvis' Battenkill Bar Stock - $98 for thr 3-5 wt. reel. It has a very nice drag.

+ Reply to Thread