+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cash Crop (not ff)

Hybrid View

Talking Cash Crop (not ff)

For the gardeners out there.
    I learned today that Salvia may be the next cash crop replacing that old standby Pot! It's leaves may be chewed or made into a Tea to give one a new "High"! 4 States have outlawed it and several more are considering doing so. It's leaves also bring $30.00 an ounce!!
    I planted a large patch last year for the bright flowers that last 'til first frost. (60 plants at 31 cents each!) I could have financed my Michigan Fish-In trip had I known, And, it's legal!
    Do I have to post armed guards to protect my flower garden now?
    I could set up a road side "Produce Stand" with a postal scale. Sort of a pick your own. like a strawberry patch!
    Oh, I know the NBOF will have a field day with this one!!
    Did I really say "Field" day?

This may be just what we needed to revive Cheech and Chong career and the sequel to their move "Up in Smoke."
    Trout don't speak Latin.

nighthawk Guest

We need Saint Paul to verify all of this. If Mikey should happen to make the Michigan Fish-in do not let him use this as an added ingredient to the fudge!

OH BOY!!!
    Where's your garden Jack? You folks are gonna be some "happy campers" THIS YEAR!!......PBS Fudge!!
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Oh and the "medicinal value".........

Yeah us eye doctors are lining up for it to be available for our glaucoma pts.............not!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Do I have to post armed guards to protect my flower garden now?
    YEP- I'd say that would be a good idea!!!!!!!! What was your address again?
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

Where can I send my check? Ahhhh, to relive the 60's again. Will it help with weight loss? I can get a Rx if you need one. I can also send cash in small bills if necessary. Tullahoma Gold... nice ring to that. "No stems or seeds that you don't need, Tullahoma Gold is... bad _ _ _ weed!"

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Jack,
    Remember the Life Cereal commercials? "Mikey will try anything" You can be our "Mikey" and put a couple of cups of that stuff in your brownie mix and I can hardly wait to hear how they taste!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Talking

Joe;
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Had 3 kids grazing in my flower garden. And it hasn't even leafed out yet!! Did you miss my "It's Legal" statment?
    I can send you a ounce for a 41 cent stamp, mix it into some spam and create a whole new world of cullinary experiances!! Even paul may come to the plate!!

rst;
    I'll bring some to the Fish-In. In fact I think it grows wild along the banks of the Au Sable River.

BBW;
    Just another excuse to come over and sign the "HAT"!!

It has been outlawed in Alabama which is just across the county line!

Ttsk, tsk, tsk........ and, on a FAMILY oriented fly fishing web site no less!?!
    However, since somehow MY NAME was bantered about above..........
    "Salvia", (from the Latin language word "Salvia"), is considered in some "circles" as a "fun and poetically enjoyable organic, used by certain Native Peoples in ritualistic endeavors".
    It does, possess certain "attributes" although much weaker per gram, than Mary-Ja-Wanna".(From the Ohio language word;"Mary-Ja-Wanna")
    And, even though, the "cry and hue" has begun on its legality in certain states, that as usual "panic, before thinking", (think "The McCarther Years), there is still ongoing debate as to its potency and drug inducing powers.
    NOW,seriously, "Jack-Zappa-Hise", if you REALLY want to have an enjoyable time, while out on one of your many; "Trout Field Goal Kicking Outings", perchance my Irish Lass in residence, could be convinced to send you along a small quantity of her "Imported Asian Poppy" seeds, to supplement your garden fair!?
    Linda, as a small side hobby and to further enjoy her love of gardening and flowers in particular, two years ago started a 1/2 acre flower garden into which; has now grown into a quite lucrative "road side flower stand business" for her.
    While selecting certain seeds, bulbs, and planting starts, for the 60+ variety of flowers she has chosen for her garden....... one of the most prolific and highly sought after flowers, is an assortment of Poppies.

She began with 3 varieties and now plants over a dozen different strains of this particular botanical. In shopping for the various seeds and starts,last year, she ran across a very beautiful and delicate "White Asian Poppy" of which she ordered many starts of, for her garden.

One day, while helping her in her endeavors, (picture, leather harness, large, iron bladed plow, dawn to dusk labor), I noticed that after blossoming and entering their "seed pod stage", several of the "pods", of this newest Poppy to her garden had split open and were dripping very slowly............... this "white, milky, sticky, honey like, substance!?! Thinking very little of it, I nonetheless, swiped some of this "dripping" onto the end of a garden spade. The chrome garden spade was VERY HOT from being left lying in the sun and immediately this "Poppy Goo", turned a brownish dark color!?!
    "It COULDN'T BE!?! COULD It?" was my next response, as I reached into my pants pocket for my trusty Zippo lighter.
    Holding the lighter, under the edge of the trowel's blade, I further heated up the remaining "goo". Within SECONDS, it bubbled and turned to a JET BLACK, TAR LIKE, SUBSTANCE!?

When asking my lovely bride, (trying not to sound too nervous, but still looking over my shoulder for any loose DEA Agents that may be lurking nearby), "Where, EXACTLY, did you have these latest Poppy seeds IMPORTED FROM?" She, merely shrugged and told me, "A wholesale house, located in Tokyo Japan, why?"
    Yep, something like "flower gardening" is something I NEVER would have thought,,, that "I'D BE INVOLVED IN, OR would ENJOY so much!! But, by golly, "raising Asian Poppies" has certainly put a new spin on, "Sew Your Seeds For Fun & Profit"!!??!

I don't know much about your "Salvia" yet, I haven't heard much about it here on the left coast. But, you mentioned "Its pretty, bright, yellow flowers" so MAYBE it would act as a great "cross pollinator"? Say, for................. "White Asian Poppies"!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread