+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need travel Advice

Default Need travel Advice

This Ohio boy is headed to the mountains, Rocky Mountains that is! I have a 6 day (4 fishing) trip planned (leave Thursday) with my cousin in Breckenridge. I haven't been on a plane in 17 years and have never flown with fishing gear, so any advice on what and how to pack it would be appreciated. I will be taking along a 4 pc travel rod that I think I can pack into my luggage. Is that the best way, or can I carry it on? What about my vest and all that the vest contains? Do you just pack that in luggage as well? Waders, boots?--Thanks.

We all know that leaf blowers are not allowed (!?) as are fingernail clippers, weed eaters and any pointy object! I suggest calling ahead for advice as it changes from day to day and site to site!
    Good Luck!!
    As if a #26 midge may be a hazzard!!??

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Jack - with a #26 midge, I could rule the world!!! Stand back, or the trout gets it!

I've never air-traveled with fishing equipment, but my thought would be to carry on the rod(s), it might disappear from your bags, or might get lost. It would be a pretty expensive loss and could even waste the trip.
    I doubt they'd want your clippers, hemostats, scissors, hooks, etc. that would be in your vest coming into the passenger area. I'd say put it uppermost in the bag so the inspectors can check it pretty easily. If they confiscate the sharp "world domination" items, you should be prepared for that, too. (Extra spending $$$ ?)

Hope this may help...

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I pack everyting in a suitcase except my rod which I carry on. I have a 5 pc or 4pc so it is not very long. I don't have problems with that technique.

jed

I packed my rods flying to Montana, but I saw a girl get on one leg of the flight (can't remember which, but it was all Continental or an affiliate) with a 9' 2-pc in a tube that she kept with her in her seat.

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:9017e]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:9017e]

Never check a rod, carry it on, but be warned. If they search the case by hand, they usually will not let you put your own rods back in and these people could care less about your stuff. Not so much a worry at major metro airports, but if you gotta fly out of a small port, watch out.

Learned that the hard way. Anyone carrying fly rods out of Key West airport, watch out for a gorilla named Debby. Blond hair, heavy-set.....she's a rod mangler I tell ya. Heard my Sage go "snap" and cried all the way back to Philly.

[This message has been edited by Copper Dropper (edited 16 August 2005).]

The only thing I carry on is my walet that way if my stuff don't make it(it always has) I can buy more. have a good trip.

Rich

I carry on my rods and reels. The rods (4 pc.) are fragile and the reels are expensive. Everything else is checked. I try to err on the conservative side but still protect my gear.

Don't bring your rod in a metal tube. Buy one of those cloth covered PVC rod carriers or make your own out of PVC plumbing stuff. Yes I have seen metal tubes make it through TSA, but why push your luck.

If you are traveling within the US, you might also consider just pre-shipping your gear via UPS. That way you can insure it and you have none of the hassles of worrying about it or lugging it through airports.

Went to Yucatan this summer and they gave me grief about carrying on the rod cases- 5 piece travel rods "could be used as a weapon". They wrapped my gearbag and attached rodcases in a big clear plastic baq with a large sticker "Fragile" Everything made it ok there and back.

Im looking into a duffle with a compartment for the rod cases on the bottom for the next time I go.

Regarding Breckenridge area - below the dam on blue river has some hogs in it. Mysis shrimp is supposed to work good. Right by the interstate bridge and the outlet mall. Not your remote fishing getaway though.

+ Reply to Thread