+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on the whole 'take a kid fishing' thing...

Here's what it's all about! This is 2 1/2 year old Tori with good friend & pond owner Ned. Now I catch "H" when I show up without her!
    Mike

FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Mike,

I haven't seen that photo before. That is priceless! I'm not sure which one I like the most, the photo above or the one where Tori is squatted down next to her bluegill.

Thanks for posting it,

Mike

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    Here's what it's all about! This is 2 1/2 year old Tori with good friend & pond owner Ned. Now I catch "H" when I show up without her!
    Mike

Mike,
    If I'm feeling blue or not, Tori puts a smile on my face!
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Yeah...Tori's enthusiasm is contagious & she & Ned are real buddies! Only thing is that this picture of her with Ned was BEFORE she got her hands on my fly rod. Now she hardly touches the spin cast. Makes Grandpa happy for sure.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

We have a 13 year old young man at our church who due to a skiing accident is paralyzed from his sternum down. We have spent the last month remodeling his bed and bath rooms and adding a patio off his rec room. I have been thinking about teaching him to use a fly or spinning rod and seeing if we can get him in my pontoon, there's a pond in his neighborhood I could accompany him in one of my tubes. Does anyone have in experience in a situation like this where you can offer some good advice?
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 03-17-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Uncle Jesse - I took a blind fellow fishing several times. The only advice I can give you about a person who has a disability is to be prepared to exhibit your aptitude of patience.

Best of luck!

Tim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    We have a 13 year old young man at our church who due to a skiing accident is paralyzed from his sternum down...Does anyone have experience in a situation like this where you can offer some good advice?
    Not with paralysis, Jesse, but many of the kids we've taken fishing from our school's special education class have multiple physical handicaps. Be prepared for a lot of smiles and giggling (among the kids, too).

Blog Entries

well Buddy sanders, i for one am grateful that some people like to take a kid fishing. if my neighbor had thought the same way as you, i would never have started flyfishing. id probably be locked up inside probably playing video games most of the day.
    thank you to those of you who DO like to take kids fishing. i guarentee you it means a lot to them.
    Last edited by DDRRedneck500; 03-22-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Default Pass It On

I had the priviledge of taking both of my daughters, and 4 step sons at different times...And introducing my wife to the sport... its not for everyone it seems my wife loves it and 3 of the steps seem intrested...To me there is alot of joy showing people my love for the outdoors.

I agree with several points here particularly with the getting real tackle as opposed to the snoopy/barbie rods. My youngest daughter really wanted one so I got her one and the thing is difficult to cast. My son got a small spinning combo and he does really well with. He soon wants to move up to baitcaster and fly rod.

My usual rule to taking kids out fishing is to not bring anything for myself to fish with. This way I can dedicate myself to watching, helping and teaching them. I'm like their guide in a way. Now that my kids are fairly independent with their tackle and techniques I do on occasion bring a rod but will fish if I see them doing well.

http://texasflyfisher.blogspot.com/search/label/Kids

+ Reply to Thread