+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on the whole 'take a kid fishing' thing...

Default Some thoughts on the whole 'take a kid fishing' thing...

I know the 'mantra' that seems to in vogue these days...

Take a kid fishing...

Great. Do it if you want to.

If you don't, fishing will still be here. It's just changing.

Leasure time is at an all time premium. While this may or may not be a 'good thing', it is true that Americans in general are working harder, working longer, and making more money than at any time in the past. Many folks can't afford the 'time' to fish every weekend, or even once a month. For these people, it's not the money, it's the time.

This explains the 'high tech' shows you see on TV. More folks are doing the 'vacation/destination' type fishing than ever before. They want to go first class (they can afford it), they want the best gear, they want to be comfortable, and they want to catch fish. They can't fish a lot, so they spend their 'fishing dollars' on a once or twice a year 'adventure'. These shows are really 'advertisements' intended to entice this type of fisherman. It works, most of the places you see on these shows and most of the guides you see taking the show 'stars' out to fish are solidly booked well in advance.

Many of these shows will try to highlight not just the fishing, but other attractions in the area. Do you think the fisherman watching the show really cares about the shopping or restaurants when there are big fish waithing? Nope, but the non fishing members of his family might...so they focus on offering something for everyone, that way a 'family vacation' lets the fisherfolk fish, and gives those that don't something to do/see so it doesn't cause a problem in the household...

It is certainly 'different' now that when I, and many of you, learned to love fishing. I can't say it's worse, and it may be 'better' (more fish are being caught, more people are catching them), but it IS diffferent.

I can live with that. They still let me fish.

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 03-22-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

Buddy

I would agree with you by saying that no one needs to take a kid fishing out of some sort of sense of obligation.

Rather, take a kid fishing because you want to share some quality time with them, have a hoot and revel in the glowing faces as fish are landed.

Enjoy yourself by making sure that they enjoy themselves. Make a fishing buddy.

Jerry McKinnis, of the Fishin' Hole TV program, in the final moments of his final show said something on this subject I will never forget.

"Forget taking a kid fishing... take your father fishing"

I did just that that very week
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Guess, "this increase in fishing numbers", Buddy, need to get together and have lunch, with the folks below!?

According to a new study released by the National Academy of Sciences, participation in outdoor activities has declined by 18 to 25 percent in the past 25 years, something researchers link to the appearance of video games in the daily diet of younger generations. They also cite "overfishing and pollution issues decreasing access to fish populations." "The decline, found in both the United States and Japan, appears to have begun in the 1980s and 1990s, the period of rapid growth of video games, they said. For example, fishing peaked in 1981 and had declined 25 percent by 2005, the researchers found. Visits to national parks peaked in 1987 and dropped 23 percent by 2006, while hiking on the Appalachian Trial peaked in 2000 and was down 18 percent by 2005.
    US Fish & Wildlife Releases 5-year Results from Fishing and Hunting Survey

Although some details of the latest version of the US Fish & Wildlife Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation were made available in July, the complete report -- which includes details on the number of anglers and their activities, their expenditures and demographic data -- was just released last week.
    Among the more interesting information in the report, which is likely the least-biased measures of fly fishing participation in the U.S.:
    -- 3,012,000 anglers over the age of 16 fly fished in 2006, participating for an average of about 10 days per person
    -- "Although the number of all anglers declined 12%, their expenditures for fishing equipment (rods, reels, etc.) and fishing trips increased 5% and 7%, respectively. There were drops in expenditures for auxiliary equipment (special clothing, tents, etc.) and special equipment (big ticket items such as boats) by -14% and -12%, respectively." (Quoted from the USFWS Web site.)
    -- 67 percent of all anglers (including non-fly-fishers) engaged in some form of catch-and-release fishing, while 20% always released their fish
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    'entry' level fishing gear for children now is more on the lines of the 'snoopy rod' or the 'barbie fishing outfit' than the simple stick and string of yesteryear...still works, still gets the kid's interest up...it's 'easier' for he parent to pop into the local WalMart or 'sports spectacular type sell it all for every sport' store and pick up an inexpensive rod and reel for their kids that it would be to even FIND a 'cane pole' these days.
    Buddy, you make some good points, but I have a very low view of the "snoopy" and "barbie" rods that are sold as "kids tackle". They're not tackle, they're toys. I have no problem with anybody buying them as toys, but letting your kids fish with them is doing them a disservice. As fishing tackle, those things are beyond worthless. The reels are terrible so casting is a chore, and they're all under 4' so setting the hook is hard, too.

I was fishing a small urban pond a couple of years ago. As I fished, I noticed an older gentleman (the grandfather, I assumed) as he led several kids down to the water with some type of "snoopy" kids rod. I watched as the kids tried casting the rod. None of them could do it. Then, Gramps tried. He couldn't cast it, either. In the meantime, I caught and released 70 bluegills in an hour on a simple telescopic pole, fishing just 15 feet from shore.

To sum up, I believe in giving kids adult tackle that they can handle.

In PA fishing activity peak was around 1990 since then there is a steady decline.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/licsal2.htm

Mind that in 2007 the price went up so the sales have most likely declined. As far as I know the 2007 data is not yet availiable.

As to the raise in the anmount of money spend there are three contibuting factors.

1. Inflation
    2. People buy a lot of expensive stuff that sees very little use
    3. Equipment we by for ourselves (fisher folk) is of much higher quality that what people used to by in the yesteryear. On top of it we tend to by a lot more of it.
    My wifes father who fished his whole life owned two outfits. I have about 20. My son in law buys two very high end outfits every year (plus all the stuff for the kids). people used to go fishing with the vest and maybe a small tackle bag. These days we have to have hunderds of different things. The same guy who buys the expensive rods is complaining that his 16 foot Tracker does not have enough room for all of his lures and such...

He is not the only one...

I see them bass guys at the lakes all the time.

PS. How about them $30 000.00 + boats I see everywhere? That will increase the amount of money spend...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Take a kid fishing in Germany...........if you happen to be a member of the secret club that allows you the 'priviledge' to fish in one of their streams. From what I hear it's rediculous what you have to go thru to be bestowed the priviledge of wetting a line in a German stream.
    Maybe THAT is the problem in OTHER countries.
    Here in the good ole USA you can still (until environmentalists get their way) wet a line almost anywhere.

But I DO miss rotary phones!

One of the reasons fishing (and hunting) is what it is in Germany (expensive and full of hoops to jump through) is because there is precious little of it left because there were no environmentalists for most of its history. Restoring dead water is difficult and expensive, and so is educating those who will use it so they won't just turn around and ruin it again. Thank God we aren't in that situation here...yet.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Default Take A Kid Fishing - Missing The Point

I think I'm missing the point here. The comercial and outdoor usage rates mean nothing when related to taking a kid fishing. I thought that the reason was to share a joyful experience. I have three children of my own and they all different feelings about fishing but they all enjoy it to one degree or another. One mistake that I see repeated over and over is the adult trying to fish at the same time, especialy if the child is very young and the stress is incredible. Don't make it stressful on the child. And if they want to play with bugs, minnows, frogs or poke a stick in the mud just go with them and have a good time. Getting out of the house and away from the tv and video games and relating with the child should be a goal not worrying about numbers, lengths and pounds. Teach them how to tie a fishing knot you will be surprised how quickly they piick it up.

The is nothing sweeter to the ear is "Dad I Think I Got A Fish!" or "Where Did My Fly Go!"

Just take a kid fishing and have fun.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by MikieFinn View Post
    In PA fishing activity peak was around 1990 since then there is a steady decline.

Whoo Hoooo!!! This is my kinda news!!!....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread