Thread: Some thoughts on the whole 'take a kid fishing' thing...

Threaded View

Default Some thoughts on the whole 'take a kid fishing' thing...

I know the 'mantra' that seems to in vogue these days...

Take a kid fishing...

Great. Do it if you want to.

If you don't, fishing will still be here. It's just changing.

Leasure time is at an all time premium. While this may or may not be a 'good thing', it is true that Americans in general are working harder, working longer, and making more money than at any time in the past. Many folks can't afford the 'time' to fish every weekend, or even once a month. For these people, it's not the money, it's the time.

This explains the 'high tech' shows you see on TV. More folks are doing the 'vacation/destination' type fishing than ever before. They want to go first class (they can afford it), they want the best gear, they want to be comfortable, and they want to catch fish. They can't fish a lot, so they spend their 'fishing dollars' on a once or twice a year 'adventure'. These shows are really 'advertisements' intended to entice this type of fisherman. It works, most of the places you see on these shows and most of the guides you see taking the show 'stars' out to fish are solidly booked well in advance.

Many of these shows will try to highlight not just the fishing, but other attractions in the area. Do you think the fisherman watching the show really cares about the shopping or restaurants when there are big fish waithing? Nope, but the non fishing members of his family might...so they focus on offering something for everyone, that way a 'family vacation' lets the fisherfolk fish, and gives those that don't something to do/see so it doesn't cause a problem in the household...

It is certainly 'different' now that when I, and many of you, learned to love fishing. I can't say it's worse, and it may be 'better' (more fish are being caught, more people are catching them), but it IS diffferent.

I can live with that. They still let me fish.

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 03-22-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....