+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing ferrules on cane rod

Default Removing ferrules on cane rod

I have a question. I am rebuilding an old south bend cane rod and the male ferrule on the mid section had apparently come loose and someone re-glued it back on, but it is not seated all the way. I want to take it off and re-seat it.

How do I get it off??????

Thanks for any info!

Cane

Cane:

Judiciously applied heat to the ferrule while avoiding the blank SHOULD heat the glue and allow removal. This can be done with an alcohol lamp or a heat gun. DON'T use a propane torch it will get too hot and a hair dryer won't be hot enough.

Heat it a bit and see if the ferrule gets loose; if not heat it some more & repeat.

Obviously the thing will be HOT so a hot pad will help. If it is REALLY hard to pull off; a simple tool can be made which is nothing more than a block of wood with a slightly undersized hole drilled through it which is then cut it half to allow it to be put around the ferrule if it is the female with a welt or flared end. If done properly the hole will be small enough to firmly grasp the ferrule without crushing it.

Good luck!

Thanks Bam! I'll try that!
    Cane

Make sure that when you put it back on that you remember to cut some air grooves to allow the excess epoxy and trapped air to escape. It sounds like that might be the original problem that prevented them from seating fully. Also, keep in mind that if there is air trapped inside that when you heat it, it might come off the end like a bullet (guess how I know), so wear eye protection and stand clear just in case.

Good luck!
    Bill O.

www.oysterbamboo.com

Amen to that Bill, plus....years ago I found out that if you over heat a male ferrule, or one with a watercheck in it that won't budge...not only will the ferrule take off like a bullet, but the ferrule station could look like it has exploded and be nothing more than a bunch of slivers. On the South Bends, it really doesn't take that much heat. Heat it gently and watch for light smoke at the ferrule/bamboo junction. If you see that light smoke emitted form the ferrule, get it off of there quickly. Most of the time that is exactly too much heat!! and I bet I found that out the same way that Bill did...

will it hurt anything if I just leave it the way it is? It didn't seat only about 1/4".

Thanks for the info guys!

Cane

You COULD break the bamboo if it isn't in the ferrule deep enough since there will be less material to deal with the stresses imparted on the joint.

I think you will find that it will come off easily if you heat it a tad and try pulling. Reheat a bit more if necessary. They previous repair was probably made with epoxy into a ferrule that wasn't cleaned out. Epoxy responds well to heat.

I have always been pretty lucky by taking it slow & easy removing ferrules, and other stuff glued on like reel seat butt caps etc.

Good luck!

Cane,
    That's wierd-I was about to post the exact same question as I am also working on redoing an old South Bend.

Let me know hoe you come out on it.

Dave

will do!

i'll get some pix in as well.

Cane

+ Reply to Thread