+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small stream advice

Default small stream advice

I'm looking for opinions regarding best way to fish small streams. I have had good success fishing upstream at different angles, but I've seen some fishers working it downstream. Small streams=spooky fish, right? Your opinions are appreciated.

------------------
    See you in the hills

The best way is not to use any single method. Some spots call for upstream casts, some for across, and some spots for downstream. You're best off to evaluate each spot for how you think the fish are holding, and how the current is running so you get a drag-free presentation. There's probably a dozen other factors to consider, sun direction, vegetation cover, presence and behavior of a hatch, etc...

Fish and learn. Use your instincts and try new things.

Fishing either upstream or down,each have their rewards. Whichever you choose, Keep a Low Profile and walk softly. Jax

------------------
    I'm a much better Fly fisher when talking fishing, than when I'm Actually Fly fishing!
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Learn to read the river would be my advice, understand the eddies and hydraulics, wath the fish and discover a whole new way to fish. Get out there and enjoy.

DOH! whats a wath?

'watch the fish'

Be flexible enough to cast upstream, across or downsteam. On some of the streams I fish around here, there is so much cover and obstructions that often times there is no was to actually cast to a certain lie and we'll actually "float" the fly downstream to the fish.

Also, if you don't know it,learn to "reach cast". It's a tremendous help when the current in the stream doesn't want to agree with you.

Hope this helps.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I have found that stealth has proven to be the best thing I can do to catch fish in the smaller rivers and streams. The river will dictate which casting position is best, be it upstream or down. While using stealth, I have not caught more fish, just bigger ones! Drab color clothing, creeping in as close as I can while trying to stay out of sight, and walking way around a pool if I need to fish it from the other side. Alos, by getting closer, you can get a better drift in dificult situations where there are conflicting currents, or just a small pocket. The longer your casts are, the more line you have in the water to get caught in conflicting currents. I guess to put in simpler terms, Stealth!

Have fun, Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

JC,
    They may have also been swinging wets....or streamer fishing. As stated above, learning to read water and ply the nessasary tactics is great advise.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Old timer I talked to said he always started the morning off fishing up stream and his rule of thumb always was: fish dry flies up and wet flies down. Believe the previous advice given about stealth has a lot to do with success on any stream let alone the small ones.

JC, they might have even been fishing dries downstream (gasp!)

+ Reply to Thread