+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 Strand Floss Control???

Hybrid View

Default 4 Strand Floss Control???

Any tips for handling this material?

Using it to make up some soft hackle bodies and it just wants to splay out in all directions have tried Orvis and Danville, 300 denier each strand, poly-something.

The only silk carried by my local shop said it was multi strand as well so I figured I would stick with what i have until I can control it better.

brhoff
    What I do is just use one strand at a time, it is much to problematic to try and get 4 strand to behaive in any fashion.
    Ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
    brhoff
    What I do is just use one strand at a time, it is much to problematic to try and get 4 strand to behaive in any fashion.
    Ghost.
    What he said!!

Ain't no better way!

What Bamboozle said about what GrayGhost said. I too agree.
    Steve

Well I was thinking that was the solution now I have 4 times as much material...right?

Uh, no.

You have four times the 'length', but it's still the same amount of material...one strand will take more 'length' to cover as well as four will, but it will handle better...and you can control it better...but it's won't neccesarily tie more flies...but it might if you don't use four times as much length as you did using four strands...but you still want to separate it..handles better and floss is cheap anyway...

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Wink

tlerm --- If you use a bobbin you must accept the fact that for every wrap around the hook you will be adding one turn of twist also. This does not help the floss in lying down flat and smooth. I find that while holding each wrap down with my left finger while I release and regrasp the end of the floss piece each wrap avoids the twisting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    tlerm --- If you use a bobbin you must accept the fact that for every wrap around the hook you will be adding one turn of twist also. This does not help the floss in lying down flat and smooth. I find that while holding each wrap down with my left finger while I release and regrasp the end of the floss piece each wrap avoids the twisting.
    I think I just need to get a rotary vise. Wouldn't that help to minimize the handling of the floss?
    Tim

Tim,

I was reluctant to point out the 'rotary' solution to this problem. Many don't have one.

Yes, a rotary vise will make it MUCH easier to get the floss on the hook with minimal handling. Since you don't have to let go of it, deal with the twist from a bobbin, or worry about changing the tension, it becomes as easy as wrapping any other material.

By the way, unless you are tying 'show flies' intentionally twisting the floss gives you a more durable and, IMHO, more interesting looking body effect. The ribbing caused by this is more natural looking.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Thanks Buddy. All of the tips for us non-rotary people have been helpful. Interesting point about twisting the floss intentionally. I'll have to experiment with that. Never tried wetting either. I'll have to try the too.

And when my $12 vise wears out, I'm buying a rotary.
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread