+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cast

Hybrid View

Justice League Guest

Default The cast

I was wondering I have been working on casting every free moment for the past few weeks. I do see a vast improvement. However I am looking for more. I have been to my local fly shop and Chuck at "Foothills Flyfishing" is one of the best casters I have ever seen. His instructions are very percise. I feel, however that Chuck has done about all he can do. Does anyone have a suggestions to help me improve. I must admit I have gone a bit over board about improvement and have not been focusing on fishing but I just feel there is more out there. It is just like tying what else can I add. Maybe I need to go back the basics (you know simpler is better). Ok I really need some warm weather to get here.

When you get this 'perfect',,, write me.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cst/cst3498.php

Go focus on fishing. After all, that is the purpose of casting and that is where you learn how to apply techniques. If Chuck is a good caster and has taught you all he can, I think the rest you are going to learn is through experience and watching others cast.

Default ???????????????????

JL - What are you attempting to achieve? If your fly lands the way you want and close to where you want it - isn't that the goal? There are other-than-basic casts that you can master - the steeple cast or one that goes around a corner. I just want to get to the point where I can cast well without thinking about every stroke.

Remember the adage - You can learn to fly cast in a 1/2 hour, but it takes a lifetime to master.

The best video I've seen on improving your casting is George Roberts "Saltwater Fly Casting: 10 Steps to Distance and Power". (Don't let the "Saltwater" in the title discourage you. What he teaches applies to freshwater, too.)

I've got a bunch of casting videos. They're all good, but Roberts' is the only one that gives you a step-by-step plan to improve the basic casting stroke. It's not for beginners, but it's good for anyone who understands the basics. You can get it at Cabela's.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 03-10-2008 at 06:30 PM.

The idea is to catch fish. I don't give a hoot what my (or your)cast LOOKS like but I sure do care if you CATCH more fish than I.
    Put things in their proper pespective.
    Reminds me of the people that go skiing and wear the latest fashions and can't ski worth a hoot.

Sorry to be so blunt but someone had to say it.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 03-10-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    The idea is to catch fish. I don't give a hoot what my (or your)cast LOOKS like but I sure do care if you CATCH more fish than I.
    Put things in their proper pespective.
    Reminds me of the people that go skiing and wear the latest fashions and can't ski worth a hoot.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I teach fly casting and my philosophy is to provide students with a sold foundation. After we're done, if they can deliver the fly from Point A to Point B and it results in a hookup, then we both feel pretty darn good.

I have guided a number of fly fishers, ranging from beginners, to first-time saltwater fly anglers to world-class fly-fishers.

One day, I had a guy out from Chicago. We were on a load of fish, so I had him anchor the kayak about 30 feet away from the fish. Only trouble was he could only cast 25 feet maximum. I didn't want to go back to shore for a casting lesson, so I thought about the problem.

I told him to "lift the anchor, take one paddle stroke forward and drop it again." That put him five feet closer and solved the problem. He ended up catch 15-20 fish.

One of the things that I experience quite a bit is anglers from trout country who have real difficulty getting the necessary distance. Combine that with strong wind and we've got a big dilemma. Though many of them have fly fished for 25 or 30 years, they are rarely required to make a long cast.

Fly casting for one angler means an entirely different thing to another.

At any rate, if most anglers can get the fly out 50 feet, they're in good shape in my neck of the woods.
    Steve

Go fishing and the casts will make more sense. If you've been practicing them that much you will get even better when you actually apply them to fishing and stop thinking about casting. Good luck!

Sorry, for the first post, I re-read your post and realized you are trying to improve your casts and not just learning how to cast. If you feel that you have hit the wall on improvement, you might try tweaking your equipment setup to get better results. A book that helped me was The Cast by Ed Jaworowski, that I borrowed from the local library. However, I still can't cast 100 feet, but I can fish a lot better with the different techniques in the book. I guess in your post that you didn't really say what type of improvement you were looking for (more distance, better accuracy, curve casts?). A book that I own, Joan Wulffs Flycasting Techniques teaches a little different cast from the other book, and I found for me, that my accuracy was better with Wulffs
    technique and distance better with the other.

Default Casting

Justice,
    Have someone video your casting. You can watch your self and see what you are doing.

+ Reply to Thread