Do the words "in" and "on" have the same meaning when one or the other is used in the phrase, 'floating __ the surface film'? I don't believe they do. I just read something that, if the specific word used was intended, alters a lot about the way we may be looking at the Catskill dry fly.

In the new historical book by Ed Van Put, Trout Fishing In The Catskills, I found it interesting that the author uses these two words 'in' and 'on' to describe the way in which some flies behave in the surface film. Here's how the author specifically used the word "in" to describe dry flies tied by noted Catskill fly tier Reuben Cross.

"A Cross-tied fly had perfectly matched wings; incredibly stiff, evenly wound hackle; a finely tapered body; and a tail of the stiffest hackle possible. The fly had a generally sparse appearance and was tied to float IN (my emphasis) the surface film just like a natural insect".(pg 242)

Later he uses a different word to decribe a fly tied by Harry Darbee. The author described the method used by Harry to tie his 'Two Feather Fly' and the rationale for its design. He writes:

"The fly was practically weightless, and when cast, it landed on the water as softly and as delicately as a natural. A two feather fly floats ON (my emphasis) the surface film with grace and beauty: it looks like a real mayfly, and its silhouette or shape is very realistic".(pg 323)

Given the authors personal relationships, his personal knowledge of the area and people, his knowledge of the topics, the expanse of his investigations developing this historical book, etc. and the editing of the book, I believe the author meant what he wrote. He intended to use the words 'in' and 'on' to mean exactly that. Now this gives pause to the long standing (pun intended) idea that Catskill style dry flies (as tied by Cross, Darbee, Dette, etc.) float on the tips of the hackle, with the body balanced between the hackle and the tail barbs so that it is off of the water.

"This puts the sustaining hackle so close to the point of balance that the fly rides over broken, turbulent water like a Coast Guard lifeboat, so nearly balanced often the tail of hackle whisk doesn't touch the water at all."(Harry Darbee)

Now I can think of several important implications if the author is correct in his assessment of the Catskill dry fly and that it floats "IN" the surface film. How would you reconcile this as well as the long-standing idea many have probably accepted, that Catskill dry fly bodies are supported above the water as the fly floats on the hackle tips and tails ON the surface film?

What do you think?

Deezel