+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nor-Vise

Default Nor-Vise

I bought a Nor-Vise back in 1996 and have loved using it for tying wooly-buggers, strymphs, and other big flies. It made things much easier, but I continued to use my Thompson A clone for dry flies -- the Nor-vise jaws were a pain for smaller flies and I didn't care for it for dry flies.

Well, now I see that Norm has updated the jaws and wanted to ask the opinion of anyone who may be using an updated model. I'm looking at upgrading the jaws - either the "Small In-Line Conversion" jaws: http://www.nor-vise.com/products/pro...onversion.html

Or the "Fine Point Conversion" jaws: http://www.nor-vise.com/products/pro...onversion.html

Anyone use either one? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Thumbs up I love mine!

Vulture6,
    I had the old one and got the conversion and the fine jaw. I love them and I tie down to a size 22 I also tie big deerhair bugs, Atlantics and everything else you can think of..I've had no problems or complaints.
    In fact, I have another well known vise that I use for travel, and I don't use it for hair bugs because it's been known to loose it's grip(very frustrating). Well, I hope this helps
    VEE
    VEE

Vulture6
    I have the fine jaws on my Nor and been using them for about 4 years now, lol seem every time Norm come out with an up date I get them. I tye everything on my nor from atlantic to small drys and dont use any other vise.
    Ghost.

I feel I should add a little to my wife's post. The Nor-Vise we bought was a very early model and second hand. It worked just fine, but wouldn't accept some of the new conversions and showed it's age a bit. I talked to Norm and sent the vise in. What we got back was a vise with all the upgrades since our vise was made, all polished and pretty, looking and acting like a brand new vise. All this at no charge. We did order both the conversions you have listed, as well as the clamps that allow the vise to be used as a traveling vise. Norm really stands behind his product.

I can't add anything to what VEE said about how it is to tie on the Nor, she won't let me use it.

REE

5. Default Nor-Vise

I just wanted to comment on the Nor-Vise. I have been tying flies for almost 51, yes, 51 years. I purchased a Nor-Vise a couple of weeks ago and I am extremely happy with it. I have tied trout streamers and also flies down to size 26 with no problem. I have had Renzetti in the past including the pro model, but the Nor-Vise is now my number one fly tying vise.

Talking

All this talk about the Nor-Vise (and I watched his video on YouTube) and I just might have to retire my Renzetti.
    Ever since watching his video, I have harbored serious thoughts of retiring my Renzetti Traveler.
    House is nearly paid for....Hmmm...........

Default Nor-vise

V6
    Picked up the new fine point conversion, Works great and have been tying size 30 midges to
    size 6 CZ nymphs
    G

Hello,
    I got a Nor-vise for about 2 weeks and it is another dimension compared to the others.
    Spinning dubbing on the thread, even seal fur dubbing which is difficult to do by hand, is easy and makes for tighter bodies. The automatic bobbin is a plus, I had to use my other vise with a regular bobbin and found myself waiting for the bobbin to rewind! A great tool.

I bought a Nor-vise around six years ago. After using the Nor-vise for about two weeks, I sold my DynaKing Barracuda, now I wouldn't swap my Nor-vise for any other vise on the market. The one time I did have an issue with the jaws, Norm sent me a new set immediately free of charge. First class guy who makes a first class product.

Jim Smith

This thread is interesting. I have a HMH Spartan vise and like it. I an now seeing how a rotary vise would help me speed things up some. I was going to get a Renzetti Traveler but after watching some of the NorVise videos I'll have to think about one of these. My concern is the hook sizes. I don't really see on the Norvise web site the hook size range. My HMH with the Universal Jaws allow me to tie anything I have needed to. I am currently tying on 3/0 heavy saltware hooks for a trip, and regularly tie #24 for local midge fishing.

Can I tie 3/0 to #24 with a single set of jaws on a NorVise? Or would that require more than one set of jaws?

-wayne

+ Reply to Thread