+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nor-Vise

Hybrid View

Default Nor-Vise

I bought a Nor-Vise back in 1996 and have loved using it for tying wooly-buggers, strymphs, and other big flies. It made things much easier, but I continued to use my Thompson A clone for dry flies -- the Nor-vise jaws were a pain for smaller flies and I didn't care for it for dry flies.

Well, now I see that Norm has updated the jaws and wanted to ask the opinion of anyone who may be using an updated model. I'm looking at upgrading the jaws - either the "Small In-Line Conversion" jaws: http://www.nor-vise.com/products/pro...onversion.html

Or the "Fine Point Conversion" jaws: http://www.nor-vise.com/products/pro...onversion.html

Anyone use either one? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Thumbs up I love mine!

Vulture6,
    I had the old one and got the conversion and the fine jaw. I love them and I tie down to a size 22 I also tie big deerhair bugs, Atlantics and everything else you can think of..I've had no problems or complaints.
    In fact, I have another well known vise that I use for travel, and I don't use it for hair bugs because it's been known to loose it's grip(very frustrating). Well, I hope this helps
    VEE
    VEE

Vulture6
    I have the fine jaws on my Nor and been using them for about 4 years now, lol seem every time Norm come out with an up date I get them. I tye everything on my nor from atlantic to small drys and dont use any other vise.
    Ghost.

I feel I should add a little to my wife's post. The Nor-Vise we bought was a very early model and second hand. It worked just fine, but wouldn't accept some of the new conversions and showed it's age a bit. I talked to Norm and sent the vise in. What we got back was a vise with all the upgrades since our vise was made, all polished and pretty, looking and acting like a brand new vise. All this at no charge. We did order both the conversions you have listed, as well as the clamps that allow the vise to be used as a traveling vise. Norm really stands behind his product.

I can't add anything to what VEE said about how it is to tie on the Nor, she won't let me use it.

REE

5. Default Nor-Vise

I just wanted to comment on the Nor-Vise. I have been tying flies for almost 51, yes, 51 years. I purchased a Nor-Vise a couple of weeks ago and I am extremely happy with it. I have tied trout streamers and also flies down to size 26 with no problem. I have had Renzetti in the past including the pro model, but the Nor-Vise is now my number one fly tying vise.

Talking

All this talk about the Nor-Vise (and I watched his video on YouTube) and I just might have to retire my Renzetti.
    Ever since watching his video, I have harbored serious thoughts of retiring my Renzetti Traveler.
    House is nearly paid for....Hmmm...........

Default Nor-vise

V6
    Picked up the new fine point conversion, Works great and have been tying size 30 midges to
    size 6 CZ nymphs
    G

I bought a Nor-vise around six years ago. After using the Nor-vise for about two weeks, I sold my DynaKing Barracuda, now I wouldn't swap my Nor-vise for any other vise on the market. The one time I did have an issue with the jaws, Norm sent me a new set immediately free of charge. First class guy who makes a first class product.

Jim Smith

This thread is interesting. I have a HMH Spartan vise and like it. I an now seeing how a rotary vise would help me speed things up some. I was going to get a Renzetti Traveler but after watching some of the NorVise videos I'll have to think about one of these. My concern is the hook sizes. I don't really see on the Norvise web site the hook size range. My HMH with the Universal Jaws allow me to tie anything I have needed to. I am currently tying on 3/0 heavy saltware hooks for a trip, and regularly tie #24 for local midge fishing.

Can I tie 3/0 to #24 with a single set of jaws on a NorVise? Or would that require more than one set of jaws?

-wayne

I too have had a Norvise for 3 -4 years and I have the in line jaws which it can with. I have tyed hooks from a size 2 to 20 with it. The jaws seem to hold the hooks sufficiently. The Norvise is my everyday tying vise and seems to work fine. I have found that in some cases on larger hooks, where I tend to put more pressure on the thread when tying, it requires a little more adjusting of the vise jaws to hold the hook firmly. Prior to purchasing the Norvise, I used a Regal for larger flies. The Regal has superior large hook holding ability in my opinion but does not have the rotary feature. I still use it for some tying. For smaller flies I had the Renzetti Traveler. I use to tye size 8 - 20 hooks on it. Since I have gotten my Norvise I have not used it and feel the Norvise is far superior to the Traveler.

Dr Bob

+ Reply to Thread