Since the thread about the czech nymphing materials was thoroughly and masterfully hijacked, I wanted to start a 'new' thread so we can discuss something that Flybinder wrote.

It was about being unable to use the czech nymphing technique because where he's at you can only use two flies...

I know that many folks use three or more flies to do this, but to me it's always been about the 'technique', not the flies themselves (I use other types of flies often for this) or the number of them used.

I've caught a lot of trout on this 'technique', but I've never used more than two flies except on one occasion (spent too much time trying to keep the flies untangled).

I'm lazy, more than two flies is difficult for me to rig, easy for me to 'tangle', and so I just normally use two.

I don't use funny knots or tie up odd leaders. I use a level section of flourocarbon, tie one fly to that then add a dropper to the bend for the lower fly.

To me, 'czech nymphing' is the close range control of a heavy fly(s) in fast current. The way the fly is 'fished' not the fly itself.

It is DEADLY in the right conditions. It's also lots of fun to hook a fish, especially a good fish, on that short of a line.

As far as the flies themselves go, I've had more luck with a heavy stonefly for the bottom fly with either a GRHE or a simple peacock nymph for the top fly than I have with the actual 'czech nymph' style of fly.

Funny, but those little czech nymphs work really well for me as a trailing fly in lakes, though.

I guess I'm looking at this as an adaptable 'style' of fishing, not some set in stone method that you can't fiddle with.

Another thing. Sausage cases? I know it would work, but doesn't that raise some 'we're actually using bait' flags for some folks? Aren't the cases used for most saugage the thin membranes that house the intestines of the animal the sausage is created from? Pig guts on a hook? Ain't that bait?

I'd be careful about that if I fished in fly and lure only waters....

Buddy