+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CraftLace

Sometimes they call it "Bead and Stretch" It is at the craft section at Wally World. Comes in two sizes and black or clear, good stuff. The lace is there also but it is to big for my taste.
    See you on the trail, Grunt

Flyandtie1-
    Thanks for the Pic nice looking Fly.

Ok, on my package of Craftlace it is made by Toner Plastics, inc.(www.tonercrafts.com) Sold at Wal-Mart. Mine is the Designer Collection 12 colors all with metalic sparkle.
    So far it does not seem to stretch very well,Unless under my light for 20 seconds or so.

Again thanks for all the input and lets keep it coming

EPuffer

Blog Entries

the craft lace or "gimp" as ive always heard it is pretty good but yes very stiff. but by heating it up by rubbing it fast with youre fingers, it will stretch a fair amount and be easier to use.
    i agree with budy sanders on what the stretch cord or stretch magic is. it goes by both names.
    also, at m local michaels, they sell a product which they call craft lace which is identicle to larva lace.
    then theres plastic lace, which you can get a pack of about 100-200 strands of at the dollar store. this stuff is a thin plastic tubing, although its about as tough as the gimp. you can still heat it up to make it softer and more flexible though.

Normand Guest

that craft lace/gimp sure does look like a version of the old "swannandaze" from years ago.

Default Thanks

Thanks to DDRRedneck500. A few years back I bought some stuff called rexflex at one of those craft stores. Thought it would make nice bodies for gill flies, gold with specks in it. But alas it was too stiff to tie what I wanted. After reading your post, I got the spool out, heated it up, stretched it out, etc and I now have some great pliable material.

Thanks again.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    If you have the most current issue of flytier magazine it actually has a article in there on craft lace with some flies you can use it for. I also do what Flyandtie1 does with it and it makes some really nice flies.
    I went to the Flytyer article and he has a web page in NZ but it does not show how to tie them, the article in Flytyer shows how to tie but it is a little vague on steps
    John Dwyer
    aflytyer@rochester.rr.com
    "Often, I've been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar-scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a flyrod in my hand, have I been unhappy."

Just out of curiosity...the author is listed as James Smith and the end reference and web site is Marc Griffths...what's that all about?

Blog Entries

whoops mine is stretch cord.
    Sorry for the mix up.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Just out of curiosity...the author is listed as James Smith and the end reference and web site is Marc Griffths...what's that all about?
    bad editing

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    that craft lace/gimp sure does look like a version of the old "swannundaze" from years ago.
    Yea, don't it though.

An old Swannundaze trick from years ago that works on any of that vinyl/plastic stuff is to plunge it in boiling water and SLOWLY stretch it to any thickness needed. I "woiks" like a charm.

I do that with the Swannundaze I still have along with D-Rib.

+ Reply to Thread