Well, the Big Lost closed today until the general season opens Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We had planned to spend the day there, BUT the weather forecast was for downright nasty conditions.

Just checked the actual weather report, as of noon today - temp 26f feels like 13f, snowing, winds out of the NNW at 15 mph gusting to 25.

Man, am I glad I'm sitting here reading the weather report rather than over there in those conditions, last day of the winter stream season or not. That wind would be blowing right down the river. Casting would be nearly impossible, even downstream !!

Don't usually fish the tailwater in the summer ( irrigation season ) because the flows typically run around 500 CFS which makes most of the river unwadeable. But the mainstem of the Big Lost and its forks and tribs make for some fine summer fishing in the midst of some outstanding scenery.

Might be a while until you hear more reports from me about this very special river. Hope you all enjoyed hearing about our winter outings, and come back for more later in the year.

John

Until then