+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Seat Question

Hybrid View

Question Reel Seat Question

Here's my second of many stupid questions:

I received my rod building kit from Hook & Hackle in the mail today. I tried to fit the reel seat to the blank (dry, no epoxy - just fitting it up) and the inside diameter of the reel seat is significantly larger than the outside diameter of my rod blank. The I.D. of the reel seat is about 0.503 and the O.D. of the blank is only around 0.384. Should I just wrap tape around the end of the blank to increase its O.D.? Or am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for your help.

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I use drywall tape myself It is perforated and lets it fill up with Epoxy......

Some guys and manufacturers use masking tape and it works too

I've used masking tape, in two spots towards each end, works fine.
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

Polyurethane arbors, graphite foam arbors or fiberglass mesh tape ... but never masking tape.

IF you don't believe me, wad up some masking tape and drop it into a glass of water before bed - get up the next day and inspect what you were considering using.

It is very common to shim reel seats - just be sure to do it properly so it will NEVER be a concern.

I don't intend to contradict my esteemed colleague Tampa Jim, but 3/4" masking tape with a 3/8" +/- gap between each wrapping is the usual and customary method of building up the blank to accommodate the reel seat. Poly and graphite arbors are very nice if you have them, but most people don't think to order them with their other components until they become more seasoned at rod building. I don't fully understand the analogy of an overnight stay in a glass of water for the masking tape, but I'm sure there was a point there to be made. If installed properly, the masking tape is fully encased in epoxy when the reel seat is installed.

If you have the Tradition II kit from H&H, then you must simply read the directions on the cover sleeve which states in paragraph 3 under Step 2 - Installing Grips and Reel Seat:

"Now you install the reel seat. The first step is to install masking tape to be used as shims. Do not cover the entire area; wrap approximately two thirds of the area to be covered by the reel seat." Continue to read on, because there are other important things you need to do so you can have a good job at the end, like masking off the threads on the rel seat so you don't get epoxy on them.

There are different ways of doing things, but if you have a manufacturers directions to work from, then, at a minimum, you should do that to protect your warranty.

I have the Flex Coat DVD if you would like to borrow it. It gives details on building the entire rod.

Have a great build, and be sure to take some pictures for us.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 03-07-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Question

Joe would you recommend that flex coat DVD or would one be better off with a good rod building book
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Thanks guys! I increased the O.D. of the blank with some graphite tape I got from work and I epoxied the reel this morning. I checked it when I got home from work this evening and everything seems to have set up nice and tight. I've got my cork reamed out and I'm going to epoxy that tonight. Wish me luck!

Thanks again, the help is greatly appreciated!

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Joe do you find the spine when you build a fly rod and put the guides on the outer side of the spine bend? I was taught find the spine mark it on each section of the rod and glue on the tip top. Then line up the reel seat with the tip top. We just finished a rod building class for 10 with one of the best builders that you also know and this was one item that he stressed. We also use masking tape. BILL
    Last edited by William Fitzgerald; 03-08-2008 at 06:00 AM.

Default Sorry I do not mean to Hijack this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald View Post
    Joe do you find the spine when you build a fly rod and put the guides on the outer side of the spine bend? I was taught find the spine mark it on each section of the rod and glue on the tip top. Then line up the reel seat with the tip top. We just finished a rod building class for 10 with one of the best builders that you also know and this was one item that he stressed. We also use masking tape. BILL
    But from what I've seem on rodbuildingforum.com they say that on the Spinning and Flyrods guides go on the INSIDE of the spine curve and the Casting rod OUTSIDE. This way when you're fighting fish rod flexes "in it's natural direction". Did I get this wrong?!!!!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by MikieFinn View Post
    But from what I've seem on rodbuildingforum.com they say that on the Spinning and Flyrods guides go on the INSIDE of the spine curve and the Casting rod OUTSIDE. This way when you're fighting fish rod flexes "in it's natural direction". Did I get this wrong?!!!!
    I opened a can of worms---there are many people with different ideas on spines. Just go to Google and type in "Fly rod spine" One said to hold the assembled blank out and if it bends down turn it 180 deg and that is where you add the guides to a fly rod (on top). Another writes on the opposite the spline or outside the spine bend to maximize distance power and accuracy. The opposite side for fish fighting power (casting rod). They list spinning rods as being the same as a fly rod. Thay add when fishing a fly rod and spinning the guides are facing toward the water and casting up from the water. Many name rod manufactures dont spine a rod. BILL FITZ

+ Reply to Thread