Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
Well, I was less than impressed with the heavy crust (heavier than I like) on the egg bread, in spite of using the "light" setting on my machine. Plus, the loaf is a vertical orientation as opposed to a traditional horizontal loaf. It makes sandwich slices that are oversized, and that was unacceptable by the whole family.

Sooooooooooo, I mixed up an egg bread recipe and used the "dough" setting on the machine just to mix and do the first proof.
Joe
I have an old Black and Decker bread-maker and have only used the dough setting to make bread for some time now.

My daughter is taking nutrition at university now and has been encouraging us to east lower glycemic index foods. My challenge was to make an acceptable 100% whole wheat bread. Here's what I have come up with:

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (can use skim but it rises better with butter milk)
1 tbsp molasses
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1/3 cup ground flax (or bran, or wheat germ, whichever you prefer)

After the first rise, I put it in the oven with the oven light on, for the second rise, With the door closed I get an ambient temp of about 80 - 85 F. Once risen, I cook it as per Joe's instructions. If you want a crustier product, brush with an egg wash before baking.

Judging from my family's reaction,this bread is not a chore to eat ....TIM