+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Bread Machine fanatics here?

Hybrid View

Default Any Bread Machine fanatics here?

I bought a Sunbeam 5891 last week, and have been going bonkers making bread and researching recipes for different styles of breads. It's unbelievable how many different ways there are to make bread, and how simple it is with a bread machine.

I made a loaf of Dakota Raisin Bread this morning, and it's as good as any I've bought at the local fancy bread store. This loaf was done on the medium crust setting, but next time I'll use the light crust setting so the sides are not quite as crusty. Does this look good or what? It is delicious with a little butter and jam on it, and is surprisingly light in texture.

If anyone's interested, here's the recipe:
    Dakota Raisin Bread

-----1 1/2 LB. LOAF-----
    1 1/4 cups Water warm
    3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
    2 1/3 cups Bread flour
    1 cup Whole wheat flour
    2 tablespoons Packed light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons Powdered dry milk
    1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
    2 teaspoons Fleishcmann's bread machine yeast
    3/4 cup Sun*Maid Raisins
    3 tablespoons Pumpkin seeds
    3 tablespoons Sunflower seeds
    1 1/2 tablespoons Poppy seeds
    1 1/2 tablespoons Sesame seeds

Measure carefully, adding ingredients, except raisins and seeds to bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.

Select Sweet or Basic/White cycle. Use Light or Medium crust color.

Add raisins and seeds at the raisin/nut cycle or 5 minutes before last kneading cycle ends. (Add at beep on Sunbeam 5891)

I'm trying out several recipes so I can nail down a couple for our Easter Brunch. Homemade bread has always been an Easter tradition in my wife's family, and with the passing of my mother-in-law, the last of the bread makers was gone. My wife and her sisters all refuse to make bread the old fashioned way (it really does take up a lot of time if you also work every day), so I thought the machine would be helpful in keeping the tradition alive. Looks like this one's a keeper, and everyone will be pleased on Easter morning.

Anyone got any good recipes for their machines? Is this something that should be moved to What's Cooking? I would hope there are enough recipes out there to keep both areas going for a good long time.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

nighthawk Guest

Joe,
    I have been thinking about getting one of those machines since most of the bakeries no longer make a diabetic bread. I prefer home made over store bought. Glad to see you are having fun with your new machine. If you find a good rye recipe you should be able to make a killer Ruben sammich!

Default Too good!

I had to get rid of mine. The darn thing didn't work properly. Every time a loaf would get done it would disapear from view in about 5 minutes only to reappear around my middle!!!

I gave it to my in-laws and it seems to do the same to them.

Rich

Unfortunately, every time I made one loaf for dinner, I had to make two ... had I made only one, there wouldn't have been any for dinner! I put the machine aside, save for special occasions, after I gained 50 pounds!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Unfortunately, every time I made one loaf for dinner, I had to make two ... had I made only one, there wouldn't have been any for dinner! I put the machine aside, save for special occasions, after I gained 50 pounds!!!
    Methinks you might be exaggerating just a wee bit, my dear. I know how quickly it can disappear, but that's part of the fun. Plus, no added preservatives. Hard to argue with that one.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

What ... on the 50 lbs? You should see the back of my closet!!!!

Ahh, sorry I can't visit now ... I'm headed down to dust off the bread machine!!!!
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 03-05-2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'm a big time fresh bread fan
    I've never tried a machine though and I rarely use a recipe either
    I have a basic formula that I follow and after that.. what ever fits.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    Joe,
    I have been thinking about getting one of those machines since most of the bakeries no longer make a diabetic bread. I prefer home made over store bought. Glad to see you are having fun with your new machine. If you find a good rye recipe you should be able to make a killer Ruben sammich!
    nighthawk,

Here's a site with 17 bread recipes for diabetics, including a rye recipe. Hope this helps convince you to make your own.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.ph...Cbread-machine

Joe

Betty,

You must have had those 50 pounds in a previous life, because you surely didn't bring them with you to the MI FI last year. Get rid of those clothes so you can never go back there.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Cool Alright, I'm sold

Another convert. As I write this the first attempt at bread from the Sunbeam machine is in process. Used the Basic recipe. Can't wait to see (and taste) the results.

Now, here's the rub. Anyone have a recipe for something which might resemble Wonder Bread?
    Yes, I'm still holding out for the good stuff.

This whole discussion has been really interesting, thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Another convert. As I write this the first attempt at bread from the Sunbeam machine is in process. Used the Basic recipe. Can't wait to see (and taste) the results.

Now, here's the rub. Anyone have a recipe for something which might resemble Wonder Bread?
    Yes, I'm still holding out for the good stuff.

This whole discussion has been really interesting, thanks all!
    I don't know about Wonder Bread, but here are a couple of sites that might give you some other ideas to try:

http://www.qis.net/~champion/bread/main.html (I really like the Egg Bread recipe)

http://www.donogh.com/cooking/bread.shtml

And here's one you can go bonkers trying to make every one of these recipes:

http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/b...chine-recipes/

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread