+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JC's "why bother to learn"

Default JC's "why bother to learn"

JC, ...

Really liked your article this week. Drives home the point that "practice makes perfect", .. or at least, Practice make good enough to have fun

You ever notice that you don't "think" about casting while you're actually fishing now.

It's a wonderful feeling eh?. ... You're all strung up and ready, ... you see a rise off about 50 feet, ... You already have that much line stripped out. You time the next rise, ... look 3 feet up stream from there and your fly just goes there!

Same thing with mending and line control... You know what you want the fly to do, ... and the line just does it!.

I guess it's like being "in the zone" ... Makes it fun ... After all ... if it weren't fun ... may as well be at the office

Have a fine week ...

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:7b1ed]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:7b1ed]
    Christopher Chin

Very good article. I really related to it from my former athletic days. My college football team was pretty decent, and one of the opposing coaches stated that we had some kind of magic up there. Our two-a-day t-shirts had the quote "no magic, just hard work". I also think of a quote that goes with what you said about "practice makes perfect", we were always told that practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect, which is true. If you are practicing the wrong techniques (batting practice, football practice, fly casting, fly tying, etc...) then all of the practice in the world will not improve your skills, only if you are practicing the proper techniques will you gain skill. I just went back a few years there to when sports were my life.

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

JC, While I like the idea of bettering oneself with practice. I don't really think that it should be the determining factor for deciding on where, when or with whom to fish. I think I may have seen the same show you reference, if so I was struck by the sheer joy and reverence displayed by the "Guest" angler.
    Who would decide before we booked our trip if we were "up to snuff" and therefore deserving of the guides best effort? I'll bet the guest will return to the locale again, and with the knowledge of his own limitations will improve. BUT until you go how do you know? Would he have been better off sticking to small trout streams forever? Or did the humbling but joyous experience lead him to become a more skilled angler? RC
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

I'm going to stand close to C33 on this one. I am one to those fisherman (both fly and spin) that fishes for the joy of fishing. If I catch a few that's great, but if I don't that's OK too. I do not cast that well. I can, though not consistently put the fly or lure pretty close to my intended target. I even manage to do very well sometimes but not all of the time. HOWEVER, unlike the fellow in the article, I don't blame anyone for my shortcomings. I paid a guide once, and after a few hours he started to apologize for the rotten luck we had experienced. I had a hard time convincing him that it was OK because I was there for the fishing not the fish. I don't have the money to fly to Montana and fish the legendary streams, or go to Miami and fish the flats for Bone fish (we called them Lady Fish when I was younger and we caught them on spin gear and shrimp) but I will travel 2 hours to a small stream and try for the fresh from the hatchery truck trout that the great Commonwealth of Kentucky release. If I catch some, that will be wonderful but if I don't that will be wonderful also.

Clint ( please excuse my rambling )

edited to correct my terrible spelling

------------------
    Wise men still seek HIM...

[This message has been edited by Bluegill Budd (edited 08 August 2005).]
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Why Bother to Learn, when Ignorance is Bliss?

If I ever have to cast that far, I will get into the car, and drive around to the otherside of the stream, or move the boat a little closer ;> )

~Parnelli
    (Ja sur, we're Italians, yah betcha!)

Steven, ....

Right on! ... imho, ... in many situations, ... we cast too far.

Much better to reposition one's self and get a better presentation.

There are however those places when the DH is handy/needed.

Scott Nivens going to the other side on a nice short presentation.

There is no way to get to the other side without walking about 2 klicks in the brush

Tight Lines ...

p.s. ... I realize that the slant of this thread isn't exactly all the article spoke of, ... just don't need to go over the fine points that JC already made

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:b8cdb]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:b8cdb]
    Christopher Chin

It is like all things, a matter of importance. The very reason some (most) are very happy with less than the very best in equipment. Even though fishing is one of there things they do not live only to fish and catch fish. Evry fisherman i ever met tells me it is about geting out and not the fish. I wonder how many would go fishing if there were no fish? It is to me about catching fish or at least the chance of getting one the outing is second. The better I am at casting the better my odds at getting one. for me that is the name of the game.

Rich

There's an old saying, "If something's worth doing, it's worth doing well." I feel like I'll insult the sport and all those who've gone before me if I don't make an attempt to be good, and getting better, at this.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Good article but. . . yikes, if you can't cast 40 feet without double hauling that's something I'd be worried about more than whether you can double haul or not!

JC was on, but a point to add
    but if you're going with a guide, talk to him, let him know where you stand a fisherman and a caster, and get him to work with your abilities/shortcomings

+ Reply to Thread