+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any expirience with Dimondtite?

Hybrid View

Default Any expirience with Dimondtite?

That is what I've ordered from Mudhole. There seem to be a concensus on the Rodbuilding.org that this stuff is on top of the list. I has an hour working time and takes another hour to set.

If anyone used it and discovered any tricks please let me know.

In a meantime I need to set up some sort of drying rig.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

It will dry quicker than any 2-part epoxy, even without a light bulb. Put a light bulb on it, concrete within 2 hours or less. I do recommend letting it gel prior to putting the heat to it, however. Understand that it is NOT an epoxy based finish, it is an adhesive based product that has been found to be an excellent rod finish. The product dries via evaporation - so heat and/or airflow will expedite the process.

1. Don't overmix it, 30-45 secs is plenty.

2. Don't pour it out in a thin layer like epoxy ... just the opposite, keep it in a deep container while using it. It is unique, rather like glue and paint - when in significant capacity ... it doesn't dry or at least not quickly at all. But spread it thin, and poof ... it quickly dries and sets. I use the small souffle cups like the FC product for mixing and applying Diamondite. The working time is about an hour, even at my shop temp of 80 degrees.

3. Allow it to "mature" for 4-5 minutes AFTER mixing but BEFORE applying.

4. You have 45-60 minutes of working time, dependent on room temperature and humidity.

5. You CAN apply additional coats long after the others, without scuffing - again, those adhesive properties kick in.

6. It does NOT contain any amines ... no sensitivity issues.

7. Always remember, 1 part activator and 2 parts base component. BTW, it isn't real picky about the ratio ... obviously, mix it in proper ratio - but it won't fry your potatoes like epoxies do when the numbers aren't right.

It is recommended that you use Diamondite CP when utilizing their finish, although I have used U40's Color Lock with no issues.

IF you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me. I wrote the usage directions for the product that are now supplied by Swifty at tradeshows and such.

IMHO it is easier than epoxy and Tampa Jim is right, it isn't quite as picky as epoxy.

Thanks . This is exactly what I was looking for.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread