Thread: Excellent Article

Threaded View

Default Excellent Article

I hope it is OK to paste it again here.....

February 25th, 2008
    Advertising on the BB
    By James Castwell

Sometimes I even post a comment on the bulletin board thanking someone for answering a question with a link that does the job so well. It is a darn nice feeling to watch as a fellow fly fisher who needs information is greeted with a 'hot link' directly to a web site with exactly what he is looking for. Not many bb's allow that anymore. I suppose I will have to knock them off too. But I will hold out to the very last. 'Hot links' are the underlined blue colored things that you put your mouse on and after one click you're there.
    The biggest problem I have on FAOL is the up and coming self–starter who has decided to get rich by tying flies or some other aspect of supplying the world of fly fishers. He builds a site and jumps on here to let all know who and where he is. Likely he is totally unaware of the actual sponsors who pay to support us. They are all for anyone who fly fishes and even develops things for the sport.
    We even have a forum for selling stuff, a great place to help out both the seller and the buyer. The rub comes when one becomes competition with the other. Now I am sure the newby never gives it any thought at all. He is fired up. Has built his site and wants to let the rest of the world know about it. This could even offer some products for our readers and members. Who could be against that?
    Well, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it. That means me. I have to ask that all you great fly tiers and budding fly shop creators refrain from plopping your commercials on the forums here. Just isn't fair to those who not only pay for the privilege of being a sponsor, but have been accepted by us and believed to be credible.
    I will ask that you only list the web site by name, not with an actual 'hot-link' and also keep them from your signatures too. Remember, this site would not even be here if it was not for the sponsors, both past and present. We're all working toward the same goals, trying to make things better for all fly fishers. Sure hope you understand and can comply voluntarily. If that doesn't work I will have to do like most others do and that is just keep them off. Not hard to do, only one mouse click away for me. ~ James Castwell

Re-posted here by Steve hopefully with JC's approval.....
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 03-02-2008 at 08:48 PM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024