+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader size question

Default Leader size question

When I'm using my 1, 2 or 3 weight but I want to use larger flies or poppers would a larger (smaller number) leader help? Can I use a 1x 0r 2x leader with a 1 or 2 weight rod? I know I cant use huge poppers with my 1 weight (or my 2 or 3 for that matter) but even a small popper is tough with a ultra light but I enjoy fishing with the small rod's. Also, any other ultra lite fishing tips.

Usually tippet size is determined by fly size, the "rule of 3"
    Deviding the fly size by 3 will get you close i.e.- 18 fly = 6X tippet, 20 = 7, 12 = 4, 10 = 3 and so on.

Buzz s correct as to the tippet end, but I think you are asking about the butt end. There, you want your leader to be marginally smaller than the end of your fly line for best transmission of power.

There are definite upper limits to how large a fly you can throw with a small line.

Yes, you can fish heavier tippet on a light rod. I commonly fish for carp using flies size 16-12 with 0-3X tippet. Just remember that the increased breaking strength of the larger diameter tippets is capable of putting a lot of stress on little rods.

I agree with you about the small rods - they are a lot of fun - but the lighter weight of the fly line itself will have trouble turning over the bigger flies. A stiffer leader will help some, but the smaller fly line is just not designed to turn over the bigger, heavier flies very well, or heavier leaders either, I'm afraid. I wish they could.
    Joe

I totally agree with OKIE, Keep the drag backed off and take your time fighting the fish...a lil extra time with less excertion on the fish is not going to harm them.

They are more reziliant than some give them credit for,Just remember to take a lil extra care in their release,and all should be fine.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Blog Entries

It's doable. I throw big poppers and streamers with my 3wt all the time. And have done so with my 1wt. Heavier tippet doesn't really help the casting, that takes timing and practice, but it does prevent leader twist, which will kill you with poppers. A shorter leader might be of some assistance, however.

When the cork is bending on the rod while you are fighting the fish, tho, consider upsizing your rod. *S*

Dg,
    Thats a good indicator for sure,Cork bending is not a good sign.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

dm: I can help with your final question....

"Also, any other ultra lite fishing tips?"
    [url=http://www.byrdultrafly.com/:90178]http://www.byrdultrafly.com/[/url:90178]

Regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread