Thread: Overcoming Doubts

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

My fly tying started with spin fishing ironically. I had been using jigs and things for trout and crappie, And I saw a guy who tied his own jigs. I thought how cool it would be and started tying jigs with sewing thread and holding the hook in my fingers with no bobbin or anything. I quickly learned that, tying that way sucked. So I got a vise and got materials and a bobbin. I then tied jigs for a while and got pretty good at it.

That's when I saw fly fishing in action...I told my parents and they took me to sportmart or whatever and bought me one of those little cheap starter kit things. I used that for a while and caught a good many fish with store bought flies.

Thats when the real fly tying started. I got different things and started to tie all kinds of wierd things and guess what? they caught fish! That shot my confidence up and I left my spinning rod at home and started using this crappy combo with crappy ties I had done.

I was catching fish and my tying was improving. I then hooked a carp on that crap rod and it broke one of the guide feet.

I told my parents about my broken rod and they bought me a cabelas traditional combo w/ a CSR reel and cabelas prestige line.( I have very understanding parents, who spoil me a bit)I then fell totally for fly fishing. I saw what I had been missing with that cheapo set up!

I then started getting necessary materials for the most popular flies and started tying those. I now have gotten more gear, stuff, gotten proficient at tying flies and fly fishing. I love the sport.

Anyways, Sorry for the long post, but you asked!
    Last edited by Flyandtie1; 03-01-2008 at 09:11 PM.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/