+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casting rod or fishing rod?

Your fly rod is just a tool. Pick the one that will get the job done with the most fun.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    And that's why I keep buying...Now I can say JC said it was a must he, he, he.

CAREFUL, Joni !!
    I JUST NOW, tried that same excuse on Linda, and all she said and did, was "give me the LOOK" at first then mumbled something about; "Yeah, right. Advice from a man that fishes in a Superman costume?".
    I left well enough alone, (years of expert training!), and returned, here, to my tying room where's it's safer.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

hutjensmpg Guest

I agree with the various comments about the right rod for the situation and your casting stroke - what you like. Out west last year I really liked my stiffer rods, but around home almost all the streams are 'small'. On those I like my 7.5 or 8 foot softer rods.

BUT, in the end I don't think it makes a ton of difference in the actual fishing. On the big water I still caught a fair number of the fish close in and around home I've caught plenty of fish on a 9 ft. XP. I think it's like the 80/20 rule.

Guy I used to fished with couldn't hardly cast. The only way he could get line out was to false cast and false cast. It seemed he was always waving that string in the air. His fly rarely got wet because his casts were so innefficient. With every one of his many false casts when he wasn't wasting time or spooking fish, he was getting hung up in tree's. Eventually he thought he learned to cast when he was able to shoot a little line, the problem was then that his flies always seemed to end up in the tree's.
    Anyways, I always always caught more fish.

Jackster, I had the opposite problem. I had a client that would just SLAP the fly on the water. I tried to get him to false cast, but SLAP! right back on the water. The only way I could get this guy into fish was putting him in the drift boat and letting him troll or taking him to the river and letting the current carry his fly. He did manage a nice 25" but we both had to work on that one.

Fly Goddess, I was just joshin' Gringo a bit with my reply.... but I have seen people who can't cast effectively false cast way too much as I'm sure you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Guy I used to fish with could cast a mile, like really throw the line off. He used to teach casting, and he was an excellent caster.

Trouble is, most of the time his line was in the air while my fly was in the water. Maybe my fly was wet twice as long as his... anyway I always caught more fish.

You said trees Jackster - boy, if only you could get fish in trees I would be a legend!

Another thing - you notice how you only ever do it when somebody is watching?

I have a fast rod, a med rod and a slow rod, seems to me the mood I'm in as to witch one I choose, situation, yes, I consider that, but sometimes it don't matter, I could walk out on the water and just want to feel a nice slow easy cast, other times, I want to get the fly there and the laid back cast is not what I'm looking for. So to me, like all the others have already said... It's what YOU like......

+ Reply to Thread