+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the rod kit

Hybrid View

Default Questions about the rod kit

OK. Today my rod kit arrived. I got St.Croix rod kit from Cabelas.

Looking at it I can already see the problem. Got 5 little pockets of epoxy called Double/Bubble Extra fast setting epoxy. Instructions do not say anything but from this it would look like this is both glue and finish?

Is that correct?

If this indeed is the case than I do not think that's enough.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I would think that the epoxy was to glue on the reel seat and grip. Never heard of that stuff though.

I'm confused--first I do not see where Cabelas sells a St Croix kit. I see only Cabelas and G-Loomis. I have used many of their kit supplies and they usually send 2 packets of Epoxy -- 1 for the real seat and the other for the grip. Also 2 packets of Rod Finish,one for each coat of the guides. I just finished a class with 10 rods using these supplies.

I found the extra packets that I have and it does say Extra Fast Setting working time 3--5 minutes. As I said above one would be for the reel seat and 1 for the grip. Do not try to use the first also for the grip. Call Cabelas 1-800-237-4444 and tell them you need at least 2 packets of their Professional Rod Finish. BILL

Blog Entries

[quote=William Fitzgerald;213549]I'm confused--first I do not see where Cabelas sells a St Croix kit. I see only Cabelas and G-Loomis.

I checked and Cabellas sells a St Croix Spinning kit the picture only shows 2 packets of epoxy. Is your kit a spinning rod?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...364&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...364&hasJS=true

Both are fly rod kits for St. Croix, but I beleive you are missing the flex coat.

The brand doesnt matter--you asked about the epoxy so I think this is your first time building. Hope they sent a rod building instruction book also. If not ask for that. You have a long way to go before you need the finish packets. Fishbum a rod building member on FAOL ran the class that I mentioned. He showed everyone how to find the spline so that you put the guides on the outside of the spline for a fly rod. You glue the tip top then the reel seat and grip then tape on the guides to line everything up. BILL

hutjensmpg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikieFinn View Post
    OK. Today my rod kit arrived. I got St.Croix rod kit from Cabelas.

Looking at it I can already see the problem. Got 5 little pockets of epoxy called Double/Bubble Extra fast setting epoxy. Instructions do not say anything but from this it would look like this is both glue and finish?

Is that correct?

If this indeed is the case than I do not think that's enough.

I can't answer your question directly, but I'd encourage you to call them and find out. The wrap finish can be a bit tricky if not done quite right.

When I built a rod I thought everything was pretty straightforward until I messed up mixing the finish epoxy. One section ended up tacky and wouldn't dry. I had to put a light coat over the top, which fixed it, but unfortunately it was the tip section and the finish was a bit thick then. Doesn't seem to affect the rod. But since then I like to use the pre-loaded syringes from Flex-Coat. You can get a very accurate measurement of the two parts. And the root of my problem was I mixed the two parts when they were too cold, so be aware of that, too.

Anyway, have a great time building it and good luck!

The rod epoxy is the same as all other epoxy--just in a double easy to use packet. For a spinning rod the guides go on the inside of the spline bend. BILL

MikieFinn, Congradulations on deciding to build a rod. Very rewarding. A couple of suggestions if I may. It seems you want to build more than one rod so I would order some Threadmaster Lite rod finnish for your wraps. Very clear but most importantly for a newbie is extended working time. You should get very good results. Get some epoxy with a little longer working time than 5 minute. You don't want to be rushed and have things set up mis-aligned. Practice a few wraps with finish on an old rod or dowel and you should end up with a great rod. See the rodbuilding section on this site, that is what I used for my first build. Good luck and have fun!

Mike

Whoa. They are not joking about super fast setting. I have some expirience working with epoxy (boat building) and this stuff is the quickest I've ever seen. if you are prepped to do evertyhing it does gice you enough time though.. The trick is do it quick... I don't think I will ever actually buy this stuff unless it comes with something I really like.

Anyway I've glued up the handle/real seat and still have half of it left. Working on the wrpas now.

Finish is on the way. But that is a subject for another post.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread