I hesitate to call them cheap, because I have yet to even wave one of them in the store since they are in blister packs. While running an errand to the Mentor, Ohio Wal-Mart for my bride, I slithered towards the back aisle of Sporting Goods where the clearance racks are at, and there on a peg were 9 Shakespeare fly rod kits. Each kit contains a 8'-0" 3-piece 4wt rod, a die cast aluminum reel, 22 yards of fly line (no backing), a tapered leader and an assortment of 6 flies. All for the rock-bottom price of $11 each. I then saw 2 additional stand-alone close out rods by Shakespeare for $13 each. They are 9'-0" 5/6wt 2-piece rods. These are probably fast action rods, based on how little they wavered while handling them.

If someone were looking for starter kits for kids, now would be the time to act. This store doesn't usually carry any fly rods, and for these clearance rods to show up means they are cleaning out the Grove City warehouse near Columbus.

I have to wonder if these would be comparable to the SA rods that were common at this time last year, and which were so masterfully cast for us at the MI FI. I don't need any so I have not purchased any of these rods or kits.

Joe