+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tuffleye

Hybrid View

Default Tuffleye

I saw a video online with David Klausmeyer and Bob Popovics showcasing TUFFLEYE. It is also in the Spring issue of Fly Tyer magazine. Has anyone used this product? It is a blue light curing acrylic. Looks to be a great alternative to epoxy. The biggest expense seems to be the light setup, but it is rated at +75,000 hrs.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Read a few reviews of it on Dan Blanton's board and it appears to be the usual "some love it and some don't" responses. The start up price it too high for me to ever want to try the it. And this stuff is pricey, beyond just the cost of the light.

A 10cc tube of Tuffleye core or finisher, about 1/3 an ounce of product, averages about $9. An 8 oz. kit of 30 minute epoxy by Z-poxy runs about $12. Having looked at the video on their web site, it looks like their product has about the same viscosity as epoxy, so I imagine you'll use similiar amounts. Sounds like a very expensive proposition, to me.

I was looking at it in Fly Tyer also, it reminds me of Loon UV Knotsense which also works. You have to waste a lot of 5 min epoxy to make it worth the added expense.

+ Reply to Thread