+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which cape to choose....?

Hybrid View

Question Which cape to choose....?

I'm getting ready to stock up on some tying supplies and had a question for all you Hook & Hack people. I was looking at the metz # half capes and the H&H half capes. I've used metz and know pretty much what to expect, but I haven't tried the H&H capes. Can anyone recommend one over the other? Thanks
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Blog Entries

Smile

Personally, I would go with Conranch http://www.conranch.com/

Denny grows some great capes and saddles. Check out his web site.

PS: Conranch is also a sponsor of FAOL.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Normand Guest

the only thing i can recommend is that you should not buy capes/saddles sight unseen or that you cannot personally handle to inspect the quality.

thats my personal preference others will be different.

For a new tyer, what do you look for while inspecting capes and saddles etc. I know it depends on what type of fly you are tying, but I could use some help here. Is there any links that someone could point me to on how to select materials? thanks

Clay,

You might want to take a look at this. http://www.conranch.com/hackle_article.html
    It's an article on hackle from the Conranch web site (a sponsor of this fine site). You could also give Denny a call at Conranch. He'll be more than happy to talk hackle with you.

Like Normand, I don't like buying feathers unless I can hold them in my hot little hands and check them oiut for myself. Conranch Hackle is the exception to the rule. I know I can trust Denny to provide great hackle at a reasonable price.

I haven't purchased hackle from Hook and Hackle, though I do buy a lot of other stuff there. They too, are sponsors of this site.

REE

I have purchased capes from Hook and Hackle and from Conranch and I would recommend the Conranch. I find their service and the quality of their hackle hard to beat.

Bill

Blog Entries

I'll second conranch...having just purchased some hackle....Denny top notch quick to reply to emails and great assistance on the phone.
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

Clay,

When I 'inspect' a cape, what I'm looking for are:

Supple stems that don't 'twist' when wrapped (take the cape out of the bag and wrap a couple of random sizes around a toothpick or hook shank-don't 'pluck' them, just separate them from the surrounding feathers and test them while still attached)). The barbs should stand up straight, be even (distribution around the bend), and the stems shouldn't be dry (look for cracking in the enamel of the stem-sure sign they'll break on you).

I want the feathers to be as straight as possible through the 'sweet spot' (edges as close to parallel as I can find). I look for gaps or bare/low density areas of the hide (not a problem lately, hackle is getting better and better).

I inspect the back side of the hide. Should be clean but not dry and brittle.

Last, I look at color through the usable portion of the feathers. Some necks will have great color but it will fade out quickly as you get back from the 'show' (portion of the feather visible while the hide is laying flat). I like strong color as far towards the hide as possible.

Buddy

p.s; If you are unsure about any of this, get your feathers from Conranch-they'll do all of this for you...BS
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread