+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about taking the plunge...

Hybrid View

Default Thinking about taking the plunge...

....into the salt. I fish freshwater for trout quite a bit, and have a good selection of 3, 4 and 5wt outfits. I'm thinking about trying saltwater this year. Most (if not all) of this will be done on LI's north shore, primarily mid-sound and west. Can I get by with an 8wt? Or will a 7 wt suffice? I don't want to break the bank on a setup (like an Orvis Helios or something). I was thinking about some of the packages Cabelas sells...primarily their 3 Forks/Ross setups. They all range under $100. Can I get by with a WF floating line? I'm thinking fishing mostly clousers and deceivers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

i get an 8 wt, and a wf intermediate line. the 8 wt will handle the larger flies and wind , and most anything your liable to hook up with except sharks.

if you plan on surf fishing you might look at a 9 wt, just so you can punch it into the wind a little better.

I figured the 8 wt should do it. This fishing will be sheltered back-bays with stripers and sea-trout (we call the weakfish on Long Island) up to about 10 lbs or so. I'm sure the occasional larger striper will show up (hoping, anyway). I won't be fishing any crashing surf, that's for sure. I'm already geared-up for that with other tackle, although the fishing I plan on doing is from the beach...but nice and quiet. Still looking for opinions on the Cablelas set-ups. I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ from the beginning.

Don't be so sure you won't be fishing the surf.
    Crashing waves and big fish make for an exciting day.
    We call it extreme fly fishing

My first reaction to the 3 Forks is ....keep looking
    You're sure to get hooked on the salt and you'll want to trade up soon
    But then again you'll probably want a 9 or 10wt next...
    I'm sure the 3 Forks is quite usable and then when you get the heavier rod..
    ....you'll have both

(I use a floating line 90% of the time)
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

ausable ny
    I found the 8wt was a little light for fishing the Sound when fishing for stripers and blues and went to a 9wt. As far as a Cabellas combo I would say it's a good way to get started without breaking the bank.

Bill

Blog Entries

I bought an 8 wt 3 forks Cabelas rod combo when I wanted to try fly fishing the surf. What a terrible rod. Way too soft for a sinking line. The floating line that came with it was pure junk, too. Try a TFO at least. Go for the 9 wt.

A floater is more versatile than an intermediate, especially being shore bound.

Stick with your trout fishing skills and you will be okay. Stripers behave like trout in terms of current, whether it be a wave, tidal river, breachway, or flat. Find the current and then you will find the fish.

In terms of rods they all work. I like them long and soft for after the fly hits the water they work better.

Thanks for all the opinions, guys. I'm thinking about either a 9 or a 10 wt...not so much for the size of the fish, but for punching larger flies in some wind. Now I just have to decide on which rod..there are literally hundreds to choose from. I see Lamiglas has some 9 and 10 wts in the $100 range. I've been using Lami blanks for years fishing Montauk and other areas in the NE for stripers and have been quite pleased with the results. I have an Orvis large-arbor Battenkill (last years model) that should fit the bill nicely. Stay tuned for further developments.

9. Default Tom

I have used an 8 wt for my go to rod in LI sound for a good no of years. I feel it is a good comprise wt.The 9 or 10 gets heavy casting after a while.but are great for beating the wind or tossing the larger flies .The 7 is great for the size of fish you normaly catch.Be it stripper,blue,fluke, porgy,etc, or shad.If the wind comes up and you can't find a lee shore it's tough to get the fly out there.I use Cortland's clear striper intermediate line most of the time.When I fish the creek mouths or any point that has a current flowing around or out of it I switch to a sink tip type 3.This has a greater sink rate than a intermediate and in the current it keeps the fly down.For good deals on the quality fly line Mfgs. log on to" Hook and Hackle" fly tying equiptment.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_175-1-3

This Bass Pro Shop rod combo is a very nice combo and you will be good to go. As far as floating out here in baja and rocky point on the Pacific side I have never used a floating line.

Intermediate for shore casting and a full sink from the pontoon.

+ Reply to Thread