+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alignment Dots

Smile

I normally add line-up dots to all 2pc rods as an added aid for those anglers who like to use them. Not everyone would use them as already mentioned, but I have personally found that it does make it quite quick and easy to align a rod blank. I usually use Testors model paint enamel in either white or yellow by using a small diameter brass rod to touch the paint to the rod blank producing a nice round dot, then epoxy over them during the rod finishing process. This allows them to stay onto the rod blank for the life of the rod. The paint alone will last quite some time if placed onto any rod without going thru the epoxy thing I do. For those you like fancy.....I occasionally will do feather inlays in place of dots. The beauty of it all is that you do what YOU want to make Your fishing experiences as enjoyable as possible.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

What do you folks think "retrofitting" dots does to the resale value of a rod?

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    As long as they were done tastefully I can't believe anyone would object...
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I've never purchased a rod with future resale value in mind, but I'll admit I don't own a rod for which I paid more than $150. As GRN noted I think if it was tastefully done (like a silver dot on my rod with Silver trim wraps) I doubt anyone would object.

All of the rods I own were purchased because they fit a need, fit the budget at the time, or were simply a good deal. The most I've paid for a rod was $130 and that was for a TFO Professional and it has alignment dots on it.

I've no idea if it would affect the value, but then that never really entered into the equation. If I was dealing with a Sage, Winston, etc. rod I might think twice, but being honest with the trouble I have without my glasses or contacts in getting a rod lined up properly I'd probably do it anyway.

Brian

I am sure that somewhere, someone would have an issue with it because it wasn't "factory". But as far as I am concerned, I do it for convenience for myself. I surely don't use them on bamboo but all my other rods are so equipped, factory or not!

some of the better classic cane rods have"witness" marks. Small dots tapped into the ferrules to help align the sections. Never hurt the value of these.

+ Reply to Thread