+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alignment Dots

Hybrid View

Question Alignment Dots

I have several rods (all of them factory built) which do not have alignment dots on them. I would like to add alignment dots to these rods, and was curious as to the best method.

Logically, I would think that a paint pen from the craft store would do the job for the least amount of money, but I'm not sure it would "stick" to the rod finish. Any help that can be provided would be most appreciated.

Brian

Brian,

I'm not much help to your original question... I would probably try white nail polish.

On another note, if you are doing this with 4+ pc rods, consider offsetting your second section (stripping guides) to your stripping side a bit (assuming you don't switch hands - cast right, strip right). I have played with this a bit and even had my 2 & 3pc customs build with my stripping guide offset to the left. It helps reduce friction/line angle a bit. Check it out before making your dots, you may want to build that bias into the alignment you set with your dots.

TL's~
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

Blog Entries

I picked up some dot decals from the same place I use for my regular decals and used them on one. It was pretty simple and looks good, too. But I've always like the look of decals over handwriting.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

When I build a rod I place "dots" for alignment with the reverse end (non bristle) of a paint brush, and a bit of acrylic outdoor paint, usually in white (easier to see). Normally will seal it in with lite wrap when I'm finishing the wraps. If its' a retro dot, one that I've put on a "bought" rod, I figure it'll stay for a good long while, and if it doesn't, it takes all of about a nano second to put a new one on.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I've used appliance touch up paint for dots on rods and golf club shafts for years...holds up very well....don't know how it compares with other paints since it is all I've used...

I must say I've quit doing it to my rods....I never did think the retro-fitted white was cosmetically desirable.

A big thank you to everyone who responded. I think the nail polish route is probably the easiest and least expensive option.

GRN, I'll have to give offsetting the second section a try here this afternoon/evening when I get home. I'd never considered it, but I can see how it could made a difference. Of course with my poor casting abilities I'll probably not notice the difference, but I'm more than willing to give it a try.

Thanks again,
    Brian

Normand Guest

nobody uses line of sight anymore when assembling rods together?? why the dots??

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    nobody uses line of sight anymore when assembling rods together?? why the dots??
    I do use line of sight, but that doesn't mean other methods aren't better for other folks... why not dots?
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    Well in my case my need for alignment dots has a lot to do with my difficulty of seeing a straight line due to vision issues. When assembling my 4 piece rods without alignment dots I generally have to "fiddle" with the alignment for a good 5 minutes or so before the guides are properly lined up. When I assemble my 4 piece rod with alignment dots it is quick and easy, and I know the guides are aligned because the dots are aligned.

In my opinion this is a "different strokes for different folks" kinda thing. If you prefer line of sight, great! If you prefer alignment dots (like me), great! I don't think anyone should be criticized for their choice though, there may be a good reason behind it.

Brian

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Moffitt View Post
    I don't think anyone should be criticized for their choice though, there may be a good reason behind it.
    i simply asked a question and did not criticize anybody for needing dots on their fly rods. maybe a little more explaination in the original post would have clarified why the dots are needed. nobody can read into the original post that the poster is visually impaired. so you shouldnt criticize why i asked a simple question.

i too have vision problems and have to wear bifocals to see what i'm doing half the time. i also have a different pair of glasses that i have to wear while work 10 hours a day in front of a computer.

+ Reply to Thread