+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hackle Twist

Default Hackle Twist

I am having trouble with a certain brand of neck hackle twisting when used on dry flies both traditional and parachute styles. The brand is a very popular brand and I have their #2 necks in ginger, dun, cream, brown, and black, and I have trouble with all of them. I have started going to the Whiting company necks and have had no problems with twisting/rolling, but does anyone have any suggestions what I might be doing wrong with the other brand?

Tigfly,

This is why I try to never buy hackle I can't handle.

Sometimes the stems twist. My experience is that if the stems twist on one feather, the whole neck is pretty much going to do it....

Of course, if you use A.K. Best's style of hackling, it's not a problem (I prefer it for western dries, they float better).

But, if you don't want twist and have a neck that does that...use it for something else and buy one that doesn't twist....

I'll be curious if anyone has a 'solution' for this...

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Stripping the barbs from one side of the feather will allow it to lay on the hook on the stripped side... no twist.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

thanks, Joe, I never thought of that! At least I can use these necks. Buddy, thanks also for your advice, just one question, I have a couple of Best's books but I am not sure what his hackling technique is.

Deezel Guest

Usually there's not much you can do to correct twist. I wonder if running your thumbnail along the stem and then winding with the flattened side against the hook will allow the hackle to wind without twisting? Just a thought.

Deezel

tigfly,

You may want to consider "investing" in a copy of the Fly Tiers Benchside Reference. This is a fabulous book on tying techniques and dressing flies for everything from thread control to woven bodies, upright wings, deer hair techniques and everything in between. It is NOT a patterns book, so don't confuse it with patterns books. It retails for $100, but can be bought for less. I paid $65 for mine 6 years ago, and it's well worth the money. Here's a link for $63 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tiers-Benc.../dp/1571881263

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
    Usually there's not much you can do to correct twist. I wonder if running your thumbnail along the stem and then winding with the flattened side against the hook will allow the hackle to wind without twisting? Just a thought.

Deezel
    I think that if you do that, the hackle will lay on the hook sideways, and the barbs will not remain in a vertical orientation.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Deezel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    I think that if you do that, the hackle will lay on the hook sideways, and the barbs will not remain in a vertical orientation.

Short of throwing the neck out, which would have been my initial response, I just happened to think this might work. Never actually tried it.

Deezel

Default Hackle Twist

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Tigfly,

This is why I try to never buy hackle I can't handle.

Sometimes the stems twist. My experience is that if the stems twist on one feather, the whole neck is pretty much going to do it....

Of course, if you use A.K. Best's style of hackling, it's not a problem (I prefer it for western dries, they float better).

Buddy
    Buddy - I would really like to know the A.K. Best style of hackling, do you know where I can find this method please? Thanks so much....

Jeanne

Tigfly,
    I think I know the brand you're talking about; have a few myself. I try to buy the best quality materials I can find, and it really ticks me off when a company charges a premium price for quality that falls short. Anyway, the stem gets smaller toward the tip of the feather. You might try trimming the feather so that you use more of the tip. In other words, if you have an inch of feather left when you finish wrapping the hackle, try trimming the stump end 1/2 inch shorter before you tie it in. Also, on traditional dry flies, a thin layer of dubbing under the hackle wraps sometimes helps. On parachutes, try taking two feathers, cut them in half and throw the stump end away. Use the two tips wrapped together in fewer wraps, in place of one whole feather. If this works, the problem is coming from the hackle stems and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. At least you will use up the crappy necks twice as fast this way.
    Good fishing,
    Arnie

+ Reply to Thread