+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headed to The San Juan in Mid-March - What can I Expect?

Hybrid View

Default Headed to The San Juan in Mid-March - What can I Expect?

My son and I are headed to the San Juan River below the dam in Farmington in Mid-March. I'm told that they have just jumped the discharge flow rate from 500 cfs to 3000 cfs - I have no reference point here, what can I expect? We were planning 4 days of wade fishing - is it going to be safe at 3000 cfs?

Any recommendations on flies, techniques and areas to concentrate on, and maybe a guide for a one day wade trip?

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer!

Hey BH Spey,

Try this website, www.customflys.com Jude's a full time guide on the San Juan River and also a board member here who goes by the moniker riverdancer. He has up to date info on the river, flies, water flows, and other essential San Juan info. Besides that he's one of the most knowledgeable, personable, and down right nice guys you'll ever meet in your life!

Be sure to check out the photo section on Jude's site, it'll leave you drooling and having anxiety attacks for the next few weeks in anticipation of your trip!

If you decide to have Jude take you and your son fishing in his brand new state of the art drift boat, be prepared to experience one of the best days learning and fishing of your life! In case you think I'm fluffing Jude up, dang right I am, anyone who's ever fished with this master guide will mirror the same sentiments!

I'd recommend emailing Jude about the flies that'll be working at the time your planning to take your trip. The flies for this river are VERY SPECIFIC, most are size 20 and smaller (Bring magnifiers to help you with tying on your flies), ask Jude about the 20/20 club when you email him.

Just a word of advice, don't do as I did on my very first trip to the Juan and spend your money stocking up on flies at your local fly shop prior to going on your trip, you'll just be wasting your money. Definitely worth talking to Jude and making sure you get the RIGHT flies so you have a successful and fruitful trip.

For some additional info try this site also, www.ifly4trout.com Mike also has a lot of information to share. Between these two sites, you should garner enough info to boggle your mind.

My wife and I fish the San Juan River every year and ALWAYS have an absolute blast, but what do I know, some say I'm a sick puppy, for I like arguing with fish that average 17-20" all day. And yes you'll probably hook larger fish (20-22") if you spend four days fishing In the right areas, ask Jude!

I'm almost envious, I have to wait until July to get my fix. I've got severe shakes just talking about it! Please report back and let us know how you do.

Tight lines and screaming drags!

Terry

"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Blog Entries

Call ahead, they may be letting water out of Navajo early due to some heavy snowpack in the headwaters. Last time I was down there it was REAL slow (compared to the other hundred days or so in the past fifteen years that I have fished it).

It's....different. I am not so enamored with it as akalooker, but maybe I have just fished it too much. But do check out the www.ifly4trout.com website, lots of info.

Dennis

DG prolly knows as much about fishing the Juan as anybody. The best day I've had fishing was with him there one cold December day a few years ago.
    If you're tempted to order the chili at Sportsmans make sure your stomach is cast iron or you have some Pepcid handy.

Fishing is pretty good, but the water is running high at 3000cfs. It's still wadable, but you need to be careful. Having a PFD and wade stick are good things, as well as a tightly sinched wading belt.

I talked to Jude yesterday and he said with the flows, you can go bigger with size, so 20s, even 18s in some places. But for mid-march, midges, eggs, worms, leeches. Things like this will work. You will also need lots of weight! Talking BB size split to get the flies down quick.

If you have never fished the river, a guide would be a good thing to look into. Like AKA said, Jude is a good choice. I've known him for 8 years and he knows that river well.

Also, bring warm clothes. mid-march can be cold one minute with blowing snow and mid-60s the next minute. so, be able to layer yourself with clothing.

+ Reply to Thread