+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Footwear for wet wading

Default Footwear for wet wading

My part of Michigan is very warm and the water is low and warm so I am thinking of some footwear for wet wading. Being a real fan of Keen sandals the Simms/Keen felt soled sandals look great. Another choice is neoprene socks under my wading boots which will probably give more protection, better foot/ankle support and save a few $. Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by David Higley (edited 08 August 2005).]

Wading shoes and neo socks for me. out here the rocks will kill you in sandles. In the olden days a pair of converse hitops was the standard, maybe some carpet glued on for the no slip sole.

Rich

David;
    I have a pair of wading shoes that I've used maybe twice! I think the socks would have been less expensive for my boots.
    One thing about Michigan that many folks may not understand, as the crow flies you're not all that far from Evart, maybe 100 miles. It's just that Lake Michigan is in the way!!
    Now it's a 350 mile trip!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

A week or two ago I forgot my wading sandals (Bite). I bought and have worn them during the warm season for the past two years. I doubt I'll ever use them again after being forced to wet wade using my regular wading boots.
    I can no longer see the benefits of sandals because of the reasons you posted plus the fact they're not that much cooler and the thought of peeling back a toenail just doesn't sound that attractive!

I use a pair of Redington wading sandals. I love them. They have a wrap-over toe guard that protects your toes.

I ALWAYS wear a pair of neoprene wading socks under them. Wading with sandals without the socks causes foot problems because every rock that will fit, and some that won't, will wedge between your foot and the sandal.

Also, beware of sunburn!!! The reflection off the water will give you a burn in a hurry!!

------------------
    Ken

There is a fine line between fly fishing and and just standing in a river looking like and idiot.

Regular wading shoes with neoprene socks over wool socks for gravel protection for your feet.

Sandals are for girls!

What Bamboozle said...

That torne Toe nail thinger to....I always wear wadeing boots...bought them for wet wadeing,My regular waders have always been bootfoot. No matter what I buy to try and protect stocking foot's I always endup with a leak in 2 to 3 trips....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I wear my normal pair of Chota Wading Boots since they are so damn light. I also have a pair of the thick Simms Wading Socks. Very comfortable to walk in. I soemtimes walk 2 miles before I even start fishing so this is important.

Chota wading sandals are the business.

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:a8e34]http://www.ukbass.com[/url:a8e34]

[This message has been edited by JME (edited 09 August 2005).]

I have a pair of Korker Convertibles, that I wear with my waders or neoprene socks for wet wading. I also like the interchangeable soles because I can switch soles on stream to meet conditions. I paid more for them than I had originally planned to pay for a pair of boots, but I have 1 pair that seem to do everything that I need, and it was cheaper than multiple pairs of boots/sandals.

To qualify the above ... I'm a newbie, but I thought about the types of fishing I wanted to do, did some research and asked questions.

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

[This message has been edited by Dave Fulton (edited 09 August 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread