+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly reels for big bad Fish?

Blog Entries

Whitefish
    Respectfully submitted; There is a world of difference between catfish and a heavy water salmon. Speed is the issue and rotational speed is what does the reel in.

For trout, a good reel is overkill. For real fighting fish (which group salmon sorta sneak in the back door on) a good reel is required.
    art

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gobrock View Post
    The past few years I have mainly fished Atlantic Salmon in Labrador. Durring the big run fish average 15-25 lbs. I have been using a 9/10 LoonOutdoors Lochsa Reel and it has worked pretty well. Now I am looking to get another. Before I do, I would love to hear your opinions on any reel that you feel I should at least interview for the job.

Cheers!

Well here's a suggestion..

Why not the Lochmore s200. Fit it with 5wt line and about 8yards of backing. Fit it to a Scott 5wt and you're in business!
    My dear friend Steve took the rod (happened to be mine) and reeled in, in about 20 minutes a nice salmon! HA!
    He had two Russian gents beside him fitted with heavy tackle whose jaws were to the ground.
    Not the SPORTING way to handle things but as he told them, it was all he had. (His rod was under repair)

My novice thoughts: It's not what tools you have, it how you use 'em. So long as the 'tool' whose using the tools, isn't a 'tool'! HAR!

The crazy thing about the story, is that he took the salmon on a Rusty Haystack #8(a la Fran Betters' pattern) off the top! Saw that most of the salmon were feeding off the top!
    I've never know that during spawning.

Enjoy your fishing. Take care.

Bad Luck Larry

Blog Entries

OOOPS! not 8 yards of backing.....80!

Larry

Default Danielsson LW Flyreel 8twelve is what I have selected

Just ordered a 8twelve Danielsson LW Flyreel.

I'll give a review in a couple weeks as the steelhead will be in full run by March 15, I hope
    You think the fish are Big here in Labrador...Wait till you see the Flies

I have been fishing Islander Reels for several years now and love them. They are a simple design, built extremely well and have silky smooth drags but can really put some heat on a fish. Depending on what you ar using for backing you could look at the LX 3.8 or LX 4.0. With my line of work, I'm lucky enough to put my fly reels through more than most do with BIG fish in both hot and cold climates and these reels do the job.

If you have ever had to chase a steelhead downstream over big rocks and heavy current with the rod straight up and letting the drag do it's job, there is only one answer. Billy Pate.

I have caught a ton of big steelhead and salmon (snags that move) on Ross, Lamson, and even Orvis reels but when the chips are down, anti-reverse really helps. And they are heavy and expensive - but a Pate has saved a fish for me on more than one occasion. You don't normally need that type of firepower, however. Just sometimes.

Godspeed,

Bob

Default Fly reels for big bad Fish?

Received my 8twelve Danielsson LW Flyreel, initial impressions are good, once I get the 20,000 cubic feet of snow out of my driveway from last nights storm I am off to test it on some Steels. I'll give a more indepth opinion when I get back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think the fish are Big here in Labrador...Wait till you see the Flies

Thumbs up Danielsson Evotec 8twelve

gobrock ...........
    Hope you got that 8twelve through Fishing Concepts, the Australian dealer.
    They are about 27% cheaper than ordering through the US rep or direct from Sweden.
    I got my 8twelve from them two weeks ago. The only mistake that I made was I did not order a spare spool for it and had to place another order from them last Sunday.
    Beautiful reel and I am sure you will enjoy it.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

I'm reviving a thread that is a little dated, but having just ordered a reel from Danielsson I wanted to clarify a few comments about the price of ordering direct from them. Until you create a log-in account on Danielsson's site and give an address that is outside of the European Union, it assumes you are in the EU and the price includes a 20% Value-Added Tax (VAT). If your mailing address is outside the EU, the price will be reduced to almost identical to the price of the aforementioned Australian dealer, but will actually turn out less because of the shipping expense from Australia. Danielsson does not charge for shipping (at least, not when I just ordered to the US).

I have no affiliations with any of these companies, just passing on a recent discovery that I made regarding these reels.

Tyler

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening
    Well another suggestion would to be, to consider a Terry Hayden reel.
    Hand made, each and every one, in Australia.

Please do not be confused with the Hayden TFO reel.

Just type into Google, Terry Hayden fly reel.

Kind regards,
    UB

+ Reply to Thread