+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North Country Spider Hooks

Hybrid View

Default North Country Spider Hooks

According to Roger Fogg, 19th century, North Country spiders are properly dressed directly to gut, hence the straight eyed hook. However, I rarely see spiders tied on anything other than turned down eyed hooks.

Why is this?
    Steve

That's probably what is easily available. Thanks to our mutual friend, Donald Nicholson, I have been tying my spiders on Daiichi 1640's. They are a straight eye, wide gap, 2X short hook. Just the ticket for great looking spiders.

Alec Jackson also has some new (er) hooks out for wet flies and north country spiders. His spider hooks are also 2X short, straight eye, but are bringht silver so the silk doesn't change color. Seems to me the old timers who tied the originals knew what color their silk turned when wrapped on a hook and wet, and counted on that as part of their fly design.

REE

Ree, I figured availability was probably the reason. I just ordered the Daiichi 1640's in hundred packs in sizes 12, 14, 16, an 18 just for that reason. I am somewhat mesmerized by the spiders and wingless wets of the time period.
    Steve

Hi Rookie,

I tend to use downeyed hooks for the reason both REE and you mentioned, availability. Make sure you bookmark Donald's site. It's full of great information, with patterns and local styles.

I would also suggest tying some on light wire (dry fly) hooks and fishing them like a dry fly. Spiders work at all levels in the water column. They are a great pattern. I like them for their simplicity and elegance.

- Jeff

Normand Guest

tiemco 101 is a straight eyed hook

I'm interested in this too as I have some of Rodger's patterns planned as soon as secure some materials. I notice on Donald's site that his down eyed versions are on a perfect bend hook, versus a sproat like the Daiichi 1550, possibly a short shank.

Any suggestions as to what hook that could be?

+ Reply to Thread