Thread: Plastic Bags

Threaded View

Talking Re-use

First off my garage is off the kitchen, when the groceries get unloaded the canvas bags (we have a couple) goes on a hook next to where we hang our car keys. The next time you go out you'll remember to put the canvas bags back into the car.

As for increasing the volume they may carry comfortably try this trick...
    Cut a piece of cardboard so it will square off the bottom. Use this as a templet and cut three more. These become the sides to form a 'squared' off base. Cut one of the three pieces in half to form the ends.

For the times when your shopping needs exceed your canvas bags; by all means except the plastic bags once. After unloading the plastic bags FOLD them and place in the bottom of the canvas bag for re-use later. Just hand them to the bagger to use while the clerk scans your items.

Yes, eventually the plastic bags will rip or become un-usable. That is were your creative juices come in. My wife has taken odd pieces of cloth and sewn the ends shut after stuffing with the worn bags. Place infront of doors as a door sweep. They make nice crafty gifts.

I've cut the bags so they will lay flat and punched little holes in the bags. I then laid them as a base for for my paver walkways and in my flower beds. Haven't seen a weed in years!

Also, when shopping and I can easily carry the items I've purchased, I've been known to hand the bag back to the clerk, or I just say, "Save a plastic tree. I can carry what I'm getting, thanks."

I guess what I'm trying to say... If we come up with creative second and third uses for the plastic we are getting as consumers we will be ahead of the game.

Jim
    Last edited by fivedials; 06-07-2008 at 03:37 PM.
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.