+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic Bags

Default Plastic Bags

When I was at the Grocery Store last night, a green canvas bag got my attention. It cost me 88 cents and I hauled my groceries out with it. These canvas bags will replace the plastic and paper bags I have been using. I'm starting with one bag to see if I can make it work for me. I learned one of the problems with the canvas bags, is that you have to remember to take it with you on the return trip to the Store. I am totally sick of plastic grocery bags!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I have two of them,,, have had for quite a while...

Now I've got a picture in mind of Superman carrying two green bags out of a grocery store

Normand Guest

it takes alot of little green bags to bring home $150 worth of groceries. the ones i've seen are not very big.

i did buy one from the whole foods market and it is quite large. just wish i could remember to take it along on grocery trips.
    Last edited by Normand; 02-23-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Have to agree with Normand, not practical for a cart FULL of groceries, but nice if you just need a few things. We don't live withing walking distance of the grocery store, so we try to make just one big buy a week in order to limit the trips. Our stores have boxes at the entrances to put your old bags in for recycling. We use our grocery bags to line trash cans in the bathrooms, basement and garage, plus we use them daily when we walk our dog (70# lab). Very few bags from our home go to the landfill without something in them.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    Very few bags from our home go to the landfill without something in them.
    but they still go in a landfill to decompose in a 100 plus or minus years (or whatever it takes). we all do it

Blog Entries

Smile Bags of Bags

I do have a concern about these bags they want us to buy and try to remember to bring back to the store with us.

Drippings.

As from chicken, beef, pork, milk products, and water from veggies. These things are going to drip and get into these bags.

People are not going to disinfect their bags and may not realize that the chicken or beef dripped some of its dangerous fluids inside the bag. Then they will use them again and again. Somewhere along the way some of those fluids are going to contaminate other foods.

I know there is a huge push to do away with the plastic grocery bags, but at least they are usually only a one time use container, so contaminates do not have a chance to cross over to other foods.

Personally, I would rather the grocery stores come up with a biodegradable bag that was a one use bag then toss it either in the trash or the recycler.

Just my opinion.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Doug: Some of the stores here give you an option of paper bags. You might find such a store around your neck of the woods.

Tim

The grocery store I frequent charges extra for plastic bags. Used cardboard boxes are free
    I carry a couple of the canvas bags for my produce and such, every thing else goes in boxes
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I was never a fan of plastic grocery bags, but after months of picking them up on my litter patrols, I got disgusted with them, because plastic bags get caught in the wind and they blow all over the country. They get stuck in the dirt, stuck in blackberry bushes, stuck in trees...etc. In my opinion, if the manufacturer would make a biodegradable plastic bag, like sagefisher suggested, that would help a lot. It would help ME, if the bags weren't so flimsy, so they wouldn't fill with the wind and get stuck in the bushes.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread