+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elitism in fishing...why?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Elitism in fishing...why?

Not TOO long ago, a dear friend and I were fishing. Beautiful day and conditions were great. Heck, even if they weren't, any day on the water is beautiful.
    My friend -who is a trout machine- got into some fish while I was doing it the hard way. Finally tuned me into a nice trout.

Along the way we saw a couple who were heading upstream. They were decked out in all the fancy attire and what-not.

Well...on our way downstream as we called it a day, and met up with the folks who we 'hello-ed' and made conversation though a short one. They asked our luck and we told 'em. Described the fish, and the gent remarked: "Oh, must've been a 'stocky'."

So I guess that 'regular' trout isn't good enough. NOW, it has to be a 'natural'.

Even some anglers when speaking seem to concern themselves with species of fish and SIZE. Tackle is a big one too. Anything less and it's just not worth mentioning as if it's shameful.

Well I just want to say:
    I've been trying to fish for 7 years now and I love it! I have a heavy 8 wt I bought from Wall-Mart and a nice Scott 5 wt which I'm still trying to figure out how to cast.
    I have a pair of neoprenes with patches of Aquaseal all over.
    Most of the year, I spend my time catching Bass,sunfish ,and gool ol' loggerhead..chub. On those special occasions (VERY few and far in-between) I get the chance to catch a trout.
    And if you're like me (like on that day I spent with my friend) I caught only ONE trout to his seven. And whether it was stocked or not, catching that fish and holding it in my hands before quickly letting it back into the silver stream filled me with such joy that I could've packed it all up and called it a day right then and there.
    This wonderful hobby echoes life in that I am CONSTANTLY humbled.
    The only thing I look forward to (one of many) on the stream , is to share the experience and the joys and the funny mishaps with other anglers.
    It is this 'brotherhood' which is part of the reason I continue to venture to flowing waters.

I guess I'm just naiive to think that all feel the way I do.

I hope and I'm SURE I'm wrong.

Thanks for reading. Health to you and yours. And my sincere hopes that you all enjoy each experience on whatever waters you fish and that you enjoy as much the joy of the tug of your lines from a minnow, as you would a trout....STOCKED OR OTHERWISE!

Cheers,
    Larry 'Bad Luck' Ioannidis

I'm sad to say ignorance know no bounds OR boundaries. You have schmucks in Canada too!

I'd wet a line with someone with your mindset any day Larry; we think alike!

Cheers!

Smile

Larry,
    Don't ever lose your joy of fishing and ignore snobs.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Smile Forget them

Bad Luck Larry,

You had the unfortunate pleasure of running into a couple of the very few who can cloudy up the waters. But fear not, they exist everywhere, in every sport, every walk of life. Take a look around and observe the people in any sport or game you want to. You will find those few elitists. Go beyond that and pay close attention to the people who work with, you will find them there as well. For some it is human nature to want to think they are better than others or above others. Maybe they need that to continue to exist, I don?t know. When I run into ?those kind of people? I just laugh and keep on fishing. For me, I know what I want and what I like. That is all that matters.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Blog Entries

See my latest blog post if you care to see my opinion...
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up

B.L. Larry,
    Here is a Quote that sums up the futility of it all;There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965
    LOL!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

BL-Larry;
    Welcome to FAOL and I really hope, that you find a 'fishing home' here!
    In the 30 some odd years I've been beating water into a froth any glass of beer would be proud to have, I've run into so many chaps, like you encountered, I'll now wade across a river to avoid having to talk to them anymore.

Yes, I have TRULY seen these "types", gearing up, at the backs of their $65,000.00 SUVs, (windows half covered in equipment decals), with price tags still hanging... either, off their waders, and/or, their hats and vests. They're pretty east to spot, for the most part, because the felt on their boots is usually whiter than when the manufacturer first glued it on the soles and there's almost ALWAYS a crease in the legs of their waders. And, the waders, God forbid, HAVE no patches!
    When you approach them, and ask them anything, even if it's something about "How nice the day is", they HAVE TO work in at least ONE WORD in Latin.
    Of course, my long time fishing partner and I, have our own "Latin" and we we love watching the little "twitches" these clowns get in the corners of their eyes when we start talking OUR Latin, back to them.................. "E'catchitquickus Ovaltine" and "De'bugusattheaqua" usualy shuts them right up.

Don't ever let these clowns bother you. They enjoy their "day on the water" probably 10 times LESS, than you ever will! I'll wade a stream with a man like you, anytime. I don't believe in ANY form of competition in fly fishing. Not even the "for fun" type that my local fly club members get involved in. There's no point in it, I can see, it proves not a thing. It's not what fly fishing, to me, is about.
    The price of your rod, who makes it, and "oh, how much BETTER you'll cast, if you own one!" is pure crap and being sucked into mental ad hype.
    I'd rather cast 30' feet and be able to see a deer crossing up stream, than making sure my $600.00 rod is laying out, exactly 87.8756 feet of line.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bad Luck Larry,

People are people whether you are on a street corner or fishing a stream. As long as you enjoy what you do, the heck with the snobs. If they want to be so small minded to limit themselves to a clique, so be it! Don't waste your time worrying about it.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

Default a story i was told once

A guy was on the big lakes fishing. he decided to keep a couple lake run browns. He tossed them up on the bank. An angler went off on him for keeping trout. He also went off on the guy for not killing the trout fast and properly. The guy got so mad, He walked up on the bank and pulled out his semi-auto and shot the 2 lake runs in the head. He then asked the guy if they were dispatched properly?
    The guy with the gun....flyangler....the guy going off....a spin angler.

Life is too long to sweat the little things.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

If the only trout worth pursuing were non-stocked natives, we'd be elbowing each other in the ribs for a chance at them. I suppose there are streams where fish haven't been stocked, and there are no invaders competing for space, but I don't know where they are. Probably a long way from my house. I advise doing what you enjoy doing, and let the elitists try to find those very rare opportunities to catch "untainted" fish. They won't have near as much fun as you're having.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

+ Reply to Thread